hendrik

Very nice viola on violinist.com

I see Lyndon is still busy.

Deeply hurt to be so pointedly excluded from his list of people worth listening to, though of course I agree with his "top three". I won't sleep for a week.

So I won't offer an opinion, except to say that the neck graft is clearly visible in the second set of photos and then subsequently ... 

Dear Hendrik, Thank you for posting this discussion in Maestronet.  I'll see how to get pictures of the linings and blocks on the inside.  

Dear Martin Swan, I certainly didn't exclude you and I'd be very happy to know your opinion.

Dear Manfio, By "not canonic" do you mean not standard?

All opinions that could help to ascertain the origin of my viola are very welcome.

2 hours ago, martin swan said:

IDeeply hurt to be so pointedly excluded from his list of people worth listening to, though of course I agree with his "top three". I won't sleep for a week.. 

I wouldn't worry about it - the top three won't have the definitive answer for country of origin either this time around.  

6 hours ago, martin swan said:

Deeply hurt to be so pointedly excluded from his list of people worth listening to, though of course I agree with his "top three". I won't sleep for a week.

Though it's somehow ridiculous to make a competitive range of expertise, it could make some sense in this particular case.;) Considering that I'm unable to separate between, let's say, a Silvestre and a Chanot, nor to distinguish both from a well made Hungarian, the question reg. this viola possibly could be reduced to the point if it's south-german/austrian, saxon or english. Maybe this was intended, taking the names as symbols?

Without knowing more about internal construction, lower rib or scroll fluting (which are only a few of the boxes to tick), the viola reminds me the most of the Schönfelder school of Markneukirchen, but without excluding a possible origin from the other places named above.

Maybe the violinist poster can give share more informations or photos here? Of course the pegbox would be the right place, if the instrument isn't up for auction or sale.

Martin,

If it makes you feel any better, I was following that discussion before it was linked over to here, and I wondered without being prompted why Lyndon left you off of his list of reliable experts. I certainly value your opinion, and I'm confident that pretty much everyone else does too. Lyndon certainly is an interesting character.

There is no room for any „ranking“ of expertise here, the provided photos do not provide sufficient details to come to a safe conclusion. Period.

On 1/12/2018 at 5:29 AM, martin swan said:

I see Lyndon is still busy.

So I won't offer an opinion, except to say that the neck graft is clearly visible in the second set of photos and then subsequently ... 

Naah, consider the source.  Anyway, you're in fine company.  The unusual nature of some details (the button undercutting, for one thing), the appearance of the wood, and the varnish color have me considering Napoleonic Wars period British.  A good look at the bottom rib and saddle area would certainly be helpful.  :)

The way that the button has been inset into the replacement neck makes the repairs unusual too.  Very nicely done, but odd.   Any sign of inscriptions on the inside? :)