lpr5184

PegHeds....

I thought this would be a good time to check out Pegheds for the Sultana. I sent an email and received a order form to complete which is designed for a finished pegbox. Since I have not started the neck or pegbox yet I could only give rough dimensions. However my real question for Chuck was about attaching wooden peg (grips) as he calls them.

First his website is not very informative...he requires you to fill out an order form...

5a541be896e4c_PegHedOrderForm.thumb.jpg.cf4b7d40f583d2b54694d8924aacd8fe.jpg

Since my question for him was to discuss custom wood I called him....Here on MN there are references to him being a really nice guy. However, he was more than extremely rude and insulting from the very start of our conversation to the point of being belligerent and at times yelling at me. It was obvious I had caught him at a bad moment in the day. I apologized and asked,... perhaps we started out on the wrong foot and can we just start the conversation over?... No luck...

I know we all have  those days and  I  have pretty thick  skin... but  seriously?

Regardless I have heard good things about his PegHeds compared to Knillings Perfection Pegs....which I bought a set from and they only held up for a month and then came apart. Total crap.

When I mentioned this to Chuck he said I was comparing apples to oranges and that his PegHeds are handmade in the USA.  So I assume what others have said about the difference in PegHeds vs Perfection Pegs are that PegHeds are superior to Perfection Pegs.

I'm still very upset over this guys demeanor and customer service. I really had a hard time on the phone with him and my blood pressure.

I would not want to talk with him ever again  on the phone...it was that bad...but I did email him telling him how disappointed I was with the phone call but still wanted to go ahead and purchase 5 PegHeds from him.

I would not necessarily write about a vendor publicly but this guy treated me like dogshit for no reason and I still can't seem to get my head around it. 

That is Chuck. Even when he likes you.

Better to deal with him via email.

I don't order Perfection Pegs anymore. The quality control is such that I can't count on the sizes being correct, even within a set, and the quality of the pegs are quite variable. 

For your Sultana, these will be excellent. I still use PegHeds for Gambas and other non-standard instruments (Hardangers, Vielles, ect), but otherwise use the Wittner Fine Tune Pegs.

The only thing that I would suggest is that you make the pegbox walls thich enough that you don't have bare threads poking out inside. Chuck's threads are sharp and they will cut strings, and I find threads visible on the outside of the pegbox unsightly.

Way back I ordered a set from Chuck for a Flamenco Guitar [ So they didn't have the "small" end for the "other side" of violin pegbox, but a guitar tuner type post for a paddle headstock. 

They were rougher turning and less consistent than the Knilling Perfections that I have had on one of my fiddles and have functioned flawlessly for over a year.

I bought Pegheds through an intermediary and then he  stopped selling them because it was too  much hassle.  I assumed he meant the customers....... but you've got me wondering.

I installed Knilling pegs a few times, they works fine, looks like well made.

Any one else not happy with its quality control?

For me, I like old fashioned regular pegs, they are the best if it's done right.

KYC

So sorry, E. Yes I think it's best not to reinforce that kind of behavior with our dollars. No matter how good the product, if you treat a client like that, you deserve whatever you get (or rather don't get - our business).

Now that I'm older - I am more inclined to give people the benefit of the doubt.

I don't excuse bad behaviour in general - BUT...what if they were having a horrible day?  What if the dog died?  What if they have a mental illness?

I'm much less inclined to make snap judgments about people anymore.

Although...it was interesting to hear random comments on the radio about this (hockey player)...

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/sweden-s-captain-throws-silver-medal-into-crowd-after-frustrating-loss-to-canada-1.3748302

This 'kid' is adult enough to learn to at least fake his feelings in public....^_^

5 hours ago, chungviolins said:

I installed Knilling pegs a few times, they works fine, looks like well made.

Any one else not happy with its quality control?

For me, I like old fashioned regular pegs, they are the best if it's done right.

KYC

Why are old fashioned regular pegs best?

5 minutes ago, Marty Kasprzyk said:

Why are old fashioned regular pegs best?

Simple, work well, have withstood the test of time.  Why complicate things? :ph34r:

8 minutes ago, Rue said:

Simple, work well, have withstood the test of time.  Why complicate things? :ph34r:

Traditional pegs can be complicated in their own ways. 

I agree with your decision Ernie. I refuse to do business with rude people.

Often times the attitude of such rudeness shows up in the person's work too.

8 minutes ago, Bill Yacey said:

I agree with your decision Ernie. I refuse to do business with rude people.

Often times the attitude of such rudeness shows up in the person's work too.

Exactly!

I've recently read that Martin Hayes uses the Wittner mechanical pegs on his fiddle. I've also read that some users don't like them because you can feel the clicking as you turn the peg. I should order one and see for myself.

I don't think the clicking sensation is that big a deal, as long as the rotary motion of the peg shaft is smooth for the actual tuning.

Regular conventional pegs :

Ppl thinks only the fitting matters but, another aspect of peg fitfing is the peg angle relative to the string.

String should pull the pegs toward the inside direction , i.e., in other words, angle between string and the peg head should be greater than 90°. ( this is more important for cello pegs)

If you do these two things right ( good fitting and correct angle ) , then conventional pegs works like magic, fast and secure, nothing beats that.

Koo Young Chung

I don't understand that about the string and peg angle.  Can you show a picture or drawing to illustrate?

It's a shame the guy is so angry and wound up.  Tends to ruin ones groove to deal with someone like that.  Good conventional pegs fitted well are great.  Some of the best I have dealt with were fitted by our own Chris Jacoby.  Not sure whether ebony, boxwood, or other kind of wood works the best.

DLB

1 hour ago, Michael Jennings said:

Haven't tried the Wittner ... but there is No Clicking what so ever with the Knilling Perfection pegs.

Didn't find that either with the last example of the Wittners I tried, about two years ago. The issue seemed to be with earlier products.

For what it’s worth, I had a fiddle with a set of the peg heads on it and I eventually wore one out. I was gigging for a living at the time and playing a lot of old time and music that required non-standard tunings, but weirdly it was the A peg that died, which was probably the one getting wrenched on the least. It just felt like a tooth had broken off a gear inside or something, you’d turn it and feel a big clunk and it would slip. They were on the fiddle when I got it, I see no advantage to them over wooden pegs that are put in properly.

I have done business with Chuck over the phone for several years now and have always had an enjoyable productive conversation with him.My experience with Knilling pegs is that they seem to have or develop problems that have not shown up on the PegHeds . Needless to say I now only use PegHeds which are made in the US, not offshore like Knillings are.