lpr5184

PegHeds....

I have fitted a few sets of Wittner pegs. They seemed to to work well for people who can't have tailpiece adjusters but do use steel strings and that sort of thing. They're on the Sultana for example E.

I had no idea they were on the Sultana. I did notice that the tailpiece has some unusual looking things on the underside . I made a baroque tailpiece for the Sultana which I would like to use.

My string choice is open until I see how the Sultana responds. I recently tried some Warchal Amber Strings on violin and viola. I like them a lot so maybe I won't need mechanical tuners. But I would like to have a set just in case I want to switch over to steel strings. Thanks.

Perhaps he's only hostile to new customers, and would just prefer to have return customers? I'm not exactly how you can have return customers though, if you initially piss them off.

Maybe it was a blessing in disguise. I just ordered some African Blackwood pegs from Hansell.

I really don't like the plastic knobs on the Wittner's and the Perfection Pegs. So I think if I decide to use steel strings I'd rather switch tailpieces.

I have been doing business with Chuck for years. He is sometimes rushed but I have found him to be a terrific vendor and the quality of his products excellent. At one time I offered the PegHeds as an option but since everyone wanted them I just made them standard on my violins.

Everybody has a bad day sometimes...maybe you caught him on a bad day?

1 hour ago, BarryD said:

I have been doing business with Chuck for years. He is sometimes rushed but I have found him to be a terrific vendor and the quality of his products excellent. At one time I offered the PegHeds as an option but since everyone wanted them I just made them standard on my violins.

Everybody has a bad day sometimes...maybe you caught him on a bad day?

I agree that they are a great product and found Chuck very helpful.

Maybe this is not relevant to the earlier post(s), but I tread carefully when mentioning a competing product. In fact, I reserve that conversation only with those who know me. Calling out of the blue, and comparing a competitor's product is waving a red flag in the eyes of a bull. Be sensitive and sensible. 

1 hour ago, Michael_Molnar said:

Calling out of the blue, and comparing a competitor's product is waving a red flag in the eyes of a bull. Be sensitive and sensible. 

I would think that anyone with a superior product would be happy to inform a potential customer of why his product is superior, and what you are getting for your money. Talking down to a potential customer seems like a fast way to send the customer away to the competition.

On 1/8/2018 at 8:57 PM, lpr5184 said:

Since I have not started the neck or pegbox yet I could only give rough dimensions. However my real question for Chuck was about attaching wooden peg (grips) as he calls them.

First his website is not very informative..

Forgive my intrusion into this topic. I usually lurk without ever posting. 

I'm sorry that your experience with Chuck didn't go well. I have known Chuck for just about 20 years now and will tell you that he is indeed a great guy.

I don't know what was going on with him or if he was having a bad day or what but I think it's important to remember that he is the sole person in the WORLD that makes the internal mechanism for the pegs to work (again, please forgive me for such an atrocious sentence).

He makes one of the internal parts that is required for his Pegheds and the Knilling Perfection pegs to operate (Knilling gets the part from him...from there who knows what they do with them). He is the only person who attaches the wooden peg grips to the mechanical parts and sends them out. I do know for a fact that he's been burned in the past by people, so he may not have wanted to discus his proprietary rights or secrets to the gears/pegheds with anyone. 

Anyway,

Good luck and hopefully if you decide to every work with him again, you'll have a better experience. 

3 minutes ago, onolennon8 said:

Forgive my intrusion into this topic. I usually lurk without ever posting. 

I'm sorry that your experience with Chuck didn't go well. I have known Chuck for just about 20 years now and will tell you that he is indeed a great guy.

I don't know what was going on with him or if he was having a bad day or what but I think it's important to remember that he is the sole person in the WORLD that makes the internal mechanism for the pegs to work (again, please forgive me for such an atrocious sentence).

He makes one of the internal parts that is required for his Pegheds and the Knilling Perfection pegs to operate (Knilling gets the part from him...from there who knows what they do with them). He is the only person who attaches the wooden peg grips to the mechanical parts and sends them out. I do know for a fact that he's been burned in the past by people, so he may not have wanted to discus his proprietary rights or secrets to the gears/pegheds with anyone. 

Anyway,

Good luck and hopefully if you decide to every work with him again, you'll have a better experience. 

Forgive your intrusion? I think it's very nice that you provided some further insight into this topic. Because Chuck doesn't have a voice here to state his stance on the matter, any further information provided from someone like yourself is certainly welcome.

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:57 PM, lpr5184 said:

Since my question for him was to discuss custom wood I called him....Here on MN there are references to him being a really nice guy. However, he was more than extremely rude and insulting from the very start of our conversation to the point of being belligerent and at times yelling at me. It was obvious I had caught him at a bad moment in the day. I apologized and asked,... perhaps we started out on the wrong foot and can we just start the conversation over?... No luck...

I know we all have  those days and  I  have pretty thick  skin... but  seriously?

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 6:12 PM, duane88 said:

That is Chuck. Even when he likes you.

Better to deal with him via email.

31 minutes ago, Bill Yacey said:

I would think that anyone with a superior product would be happy to inform a potential customer of why his product is superior, and what you are getting for your money. Talking down to a potential customer seems like a fast way to send the customer away to the competition.

You would think that, but that is not my experience.

2 hours ago, Michael_Molnar said:

Maybe this is not relevant to the earlier post(s), but I tread carefully when mentioning a competing product. In fact, I reserve that conversation only with those who know me. Calling out of the blue, and comparing a competitor's product is waving a red flag in the eyes of a bull. Be sensitive and sensible. 

I think you misunderstand. First I'm not comparing competitors products. I still believe what others say about Chuck's PegHeds being superior. And as I stated I believe I caught him at a bad moment. And since he is the business owner and not an employee, he has the right to act anyway he wishes. It's too bad because I really wanted to try his product.

I don't know exactly what you mean by "calling out of the blue" or what that implies but I'll add "be carfeul when pointing fingers"  I can remember a comment a few years back when you thought Bruce of Orcas Island didn't know shit about cutting wood because you were upset with the wood that you bought from him.

There were only two people who were involved in the phone conversation.  I'm done, over it and moving forward.

7 hours ago, lpr5184 said:

I think you misunderstand. First I'm not comparing competitors products. I still believe what others say about Chuck's PegHeds being superior. And as I stated I believe I caught him at a bad moment. And since he is the business owner and not an employee, he has the right to act anyway he wishes. It's too bad because I really wanted to try his product.

I don't know exactly what you mean by "calling out of the blue" or what that implies but I'll add "be carfeul when pointing fingers"  I can remember a comment a few years back when you thought Bruce of Orcas Island didn't know shit about cutting wood because you were upset with the wood that you bought from him.

There were only two people who were involved in the phone conversation.  I'm done, over it and moving forward.

Just don't delete the posts of this thread...

You should get PegHeds for your Sultana. They will work best. Just fill out the form online, pay with paypal and go on. 

Chuck is Chuck.

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:59 AM, duane88 said:

Just don't delete the posts of this thread...

You should get PegHeds for your Sultana. They will work best. Just fill out the form online, pay with paypal and go on. 

Chuck is Chuck.

I decided to use wood pegs.