Sign in to follow this  
Brad H

Dirty Boxes

Recommended Posts

Inspired by the cleanliness of the interior of Jacob's Seidel, I thought it might be interesting to see interiors which weren't kept in pristine condition.  Good ol' dirt, dust bunnies, animal remains, whatever shouldn't have been there...let's see em.  ...yep, both mud and paper wasps called it home.

 

IMG_2385.JPG

IMG_1730.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Brad H said:

Inspired by the cleanliness of the interior of Jacob's Seidel, I thought it might be interesting to see interiors which weren't kept in pristine condition.  Good ol' dirt, dust bunnies, animal remains, whatever shouldn't have been there...let's see em.  ...yep, both mud and paper wasps called it home.

 

IMG_2385.JPG

IMG_1730.JPG

I bet that caused a lot of buzzing!  B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bet it sounded sweet!

Probably projects well in a hall... I suppose it depends on the arm muscles of the player. A baseball pitcher could probably get it to the third balcony!

Cheers,

Scioattola

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The picture of the wasp nests inside a violin made me shiver.

The inside of my violin seems to accumulate a lot of dust and wonder where it all comes from. My main instrument lays in the case with a blanket over when not being played. A little bit of rice once a year seems to do a good job removing the dust.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When my nephew was younger he collected lint...hey, to each their own...and he was thrilled with the lint balls that I would fetch him out of violins.  Didn't I read that someone had a "dust bunny" collection....was it MD?   I imagine violinists of past decades and centuries were fond of wearing sweaters because wool seems to be a frequent component of these dust bunnies.  I am looking forward to stories  or pictures of what you found in a violin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2018 at 4:27 AM, Jeff Jetson said:

in the case with a blanket over when not

Maybe the blankets are a major source for dust bunny material (in addition to human hair, actual dust, miscellaneous fibers, and belly button lint that migrates towards the source of the vibrations and sneaks in through the f-holes when one plays, etc.).  I do wonder about their spherical formation...I know, I know...instead of hypothesizing I could be empirical and make daily deposits of suitable material through the f-holes of a  violin and see how long it takes for a dust bunny to develop.  Similar to a planet,  must there be a critical mass of material before a spherical shape develops?

Lawrence, that would have been a sight to see, both the stuff in the fiddle and her reaction.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brad H said:

Similar to a planet,  must there be a critical mass of material before a spherical shape develops?

I think it develops more like a snowball. Maybe one could make a dustman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A good answer from Brad  to my wondering where so much dust comes from inside my instrument. I also take my velvet blanket outside and shake it every other week and if the sunlight is just right there is a lot of dust flying off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2018 at 3:35 AM, jacobsaunders said:

Yes, sometimes one wonders, should one need a Tetanus jab:)

Considering the former prevalence of goodies ranging from TB to anthrax by way of typhoid and cholera, sometimes one wonders (when examining something full of crud and little touched since before WW II), should one need a "spacesuit"?  :ph34r::lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Violadamore said:

Considering the former prevalence of goodies ranging from TB to anthrax by way of typhoid and cholera, sometimes one wonders (when examining something full of crud and little touched since before WW II), should one need a "spacesuit"?  :ph34r::lol:

My thoughts indeed!!

(I have been known to wear a respirator when opening particularly dirty instruments)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2018 at 9:31 PM, Brad H said:

Maybe the blankets are a major source for dust bunny material (in addition to human hair, actual dust, miscellaneous fibers, and belly button lint that migrates towards the source of the vibrations and sneaks in through the f-holes when one plays, etc.).  I do wonder about their spherical formation...I know, I know...instead of hypothesizing I could be empirical and make daily deposits of suitable material through the f-holes of a  violin and see how long it takes for a dust bunny to develop.  Similar to a planet,  must there be a critical mass of material before a spherical shape develops?

Lawrence, that would have been a sight to see, both the stuff in the fiddle and her reaction.  

Sometimes conducting research on the seemingly most inane or perverse topic can be of benefit to human beings in ways currently unforeseen - particularly by the unimaginative. Questions regarding why the spherical formation - or any formation at all - and what are the key components of such formation - stickiness of hair or wool maybe? What we can learn from violin dust bunnies might tell us, via DNA samples of skin flakes and human hair, something about who played the violin and even when, what diseases they had and what toxins/pollutants they absorbed. Maybe one day violin owners, luthiers and hobbyists will work in collaboration with DNA experts to set up The Violin Dust Bunny Archive. This is the type of seemingly silly research  thing that interests The Ig Nobel Prize Board for "Improbable Research" and some of those winners go on to win the Nobel Prize as a result. https://www.improbable.com/ig-about/winners/

Below the picture directly below is a picture of a dust bunny that I tweezered out the f-hole of a Bienfait violin 

I am currently working on. As you can see the removed "bunny" is far from impressive and perhaps at the early stages of formation ( I merely guess) It has some kind of cotton and perhaps anima/human hair in it. Image preview

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I restored antique reed organs in a previous life I used to find stuff like this all the time. I even had a display board entitled “A Reed Organ’s Chamber of Horrors” with samples from derelict organs including severe mouse damage, mud wasp nests, moth damage to felt, etc. I brought it whenever I had a display at a craft fair. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.