Brad H

Vas ist Das?

Any ideas on this one?    It seems very recent, has thick edges, black outline of scroll and pegbox, and a thickish varnish, which, from the overspray on the inside,   must have been sprayed on.  It has a fake 1934 Domenico Fantin label poorly glued over the remnants of the original label.

IMG_2377.JPG

IMG_2374.JPG

IMG_2372.JPG

IMG_2368.JPG

IMG_2370.JPG

IMG_2369.JPG

IMG_2367.JPG

IMG_2373.JPG

IMG_2378.JPG

Inside mold and attempting to be French.  Very nice workmanship, particularly on the f-hole flutes.  Pencil scrawling inside next to upper block looks to be Chinese that I can't quite make out.  I'd vote for China as well.  :)

2 hours ago, Brad H said:

By the way, I assume I should remove the Fantin label(?)

Yup.  Why not give it one of your own repair labels?  Or insert a "Custom made for......", that has a long tradition, right?  :lol::ph34r:

OK, not what I wanted to hear but, now that you mention it, the maple and interior work and blocks/linings do look Chinese (although the overall look is a bit different from the typical Chinese violins I have seen).

How about a "Made for Fritz Kreisler" label?

What's that?  How does it sound?  Rather bright and tight without depth...it is going on a diet.

1 hour ago, chungviolins said:

Chinese with sprayed varnish...

KYC

With some overspray through the f holes onto the inside back. 

3 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

Surely you have a Burgess label somewhere?

*giggle*

2 hours ago, Rue said:

*giggle*

6 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

Surely you have a Burgess label somewhere?

Addie???

On 06/01/2018 at 4:45 AM, Violadamore said:

Inside mold and attempting to be French.  Very nice workmanship, particularly on the f-hole flutes.  Pencil scrawling inside next to upper block looks to be Chinese that I can't quite make out.  I'd vote for China as well.  :)

What makes you say inside mold ?

If it is Chinese attempting to be French that would surely be outside mold ?

2 hours ago, Delabo said:

What makes you say inside mold ?

If it is Chinese attempting to be French that would surely be outside mold ?

LOL, yup, I misspoke, mistyped, had a visitation from the "foulup fairy", or whatever.  I meant "outside mold".  The signs of an outside mold are clear in the combination of recessed but center-seamed corner tips with symmetrical, inserted corner blocks.  If the linings had been continuous over the corner blocks (which they are not), that would be an even more obvious sign (and very common in Chinese violins and violas). 

1 hour ago, Violadamore said:

LOL, yup, I misspoke, mistyped, had a visitation from the "foulup fairy", or whatever.  I meant "outside mold".  The signs of an outside mold are clear in the combination of recessed but center-seamed corner tips with symmetrical, inserted corner blocks.  If the linings had been continuous over the corner blocks (which they are not), that would be an even more obvious sign (and very common in Chinese violins and violas). 

Phew!

I thought I had to go and relearn all the stuff I thought I knew.

By the way, just to confuse things,I think I have seen outside mold corners that do not have centred seams  but are nicely chamfered to hide the end grain.

Is this right ?

4 hours ago, Delabo said:

Phew!

I thought I had to go and relearn all the stuff I thought I knew.

By the way, just to confuse things,I think I have seen outside mold corners that do not have centred seams  but are nicely chamfered to hide the end grain.

Is this right ?

Don't you mean mitered (in which case the seams are still centered, BTW)?  I was calling attention to the mix of otherwise BOB characteristics with a gap or recess between the rib corner and the plate corners.  :)

19 hours ago, Violadamore said:

Don't you mean mitered (in which case the seams are still centered, BTW)?  I was calling attention to the mix of otherwise BOB characteristics with a gap or recess between the rib corner and the plate corners.  :)

I seemed to recall that quite recently I had seen outside mold corners that looked mitred in the same way as inside mold.

I found the thread here........