Sign in to follow this  
Ed Shillitoe

Visiting Markneukirchen - any advice?

I will be visiting Markneukirchen in April / May and wondered if anyone here has suggestions of what to see.  There seems to be a good museum of instrument making, including string and wind instruments.  Also there is a violin making 'adventure workshop'.  What is that?   They have an annual instrumental competition which for this year is for bassoons and flutes, and there are apparently concerts by the Markneukirchen Symphony Orchestra.   The city web site says that the town has 100 instrument making workshops and 5 factories, but I can not find the names of any of them.  I would certainly be interested to hear from anyone who has visited lately.

Ed

2 hours ago, Stavanger said:

Dont buy anything :ph34r::lol:

No! Please return with a burlap bag of one dozen fiddles slung over your shoulder. Shouldn't cost you more than a dime. 

Also, some good fake labels... :)

The last time I went was in 2015, I spent about 3 days going through everything in the Museum there, so be careful who you are travelling with. Apart from the really interesting violins, they have a very large collection of ethnological instruments. It looks like some Victorian bloke spent his life travelling the world and collecting all that stuff. The lady in charge is really nice and helpful, if you ask to get anything out of it's glass case or such. She will even perform on the Hurdy-Gurdy if you let her. Just across the road from the museum, they have an old show saw-mill. The guy who demonstrated all the old saws for us, spent his working life sawing for the musical-instrument industry, until he was made redundant, because the sawyer in Eger, across the Bohemian/Czech border worked for half of the German hourly rate, so that centuries old tension is still alive and kicking.

I reported from my then outing to Schönbach here