Maestronet Forums

Opinions on this bow?

mapfluke

I won't comment on the quality or $ value, though it looks reasonably well made. Your photos could be better.

But I will say that I have a violin bow that was 63gms when I got it, and tip heavy. It took 2gms of lead tape under a replacement thumb leather to get the balance where I wanted it, and now it feels lighter at 65gms well balanced than it did at 63gms tip heavy. For some applications it's one of my favorite bows. But your bow of interest is already 66gms. If it needs rebalancing to make it right, it might end up being off the charts of reasonable weight. How do you like it? $85 isn't much.

On 12/16/2017 at 7:48 PM, MarkBouquet clearsky said:

I won't comment on the quality or $ value, though it looks reasonably well made. Your photos could be better.

But I will say that I have a violin bow that was 63gms when I got it, and tip heavy. It took 2gms of lead tape under a replacement thumb leather to get the balance where I wanted it, and now it feels lighter at 65gms well balanced than it did at 63gms tip heavy. For some applications it's one of my favorite bows. But your bow of interest is already 66gms. If it needs rebalancing to make it right, it might end up being off the charts of reasonable weight. How do you like it? $85 isn't much.

Thanks for your input, I may stop by and give it a try as that will be the deciding factor.

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

If you're buying it to use and you like the way it plays, then $85 is fine (assuming that it can be rehaired). It is not an "investment"  bow, though.

Personally, 66g is too heavy for my comfort. As @MarkBouquet clearsky pointed out, balance point is also important to playability.

The balance point is at about 10". And just out of curiosity, what' your preferred weight for a bow?

54 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

My preferred violin bow weight range is 58-60g with a balance point about 248mm (9.75inches)

Is this is measured from the end of the stick or the button?  Here we measure from the thumb projection as it removes a variable and measure from where a player feels balance.