Ratcliffiddles

Messiah wood (again....)

15 hours ago, Bruce Carlson said:

I knew Luca really well and he did admit to doing that but only on a test basis (Luca was a born experimenter).

On another occasion, he went into the forest on the longest night of the year with no moon and cut a tree that turned out to be fantastic. The following year he did the same thing and he told me the tree he cut was worthless. Go figure. There's more to it than that.

Without exact dates and times and a lunar calendar, it's impossible to know what went right or wrong. Was he a moonwood believer? A moonwood skeptic? A moonwoodly open minded kinda guy? Did he even know how to harvest moonwood and when? Does a moonwood violin sound better when you play it on a full moon?

On 1/14/2018 at 4:26 PM, Bruce Carlson said:

I knew Luca really well and he did admit to doing that but only on a test basis (Luca was a born experimenter).

On another occasion, he went into the forest on the longest night of the year with no moon and cut a tree that turned out to be fantastic. The following year he did the same thing and he told me the tree he cut was worthless. Go figure. There's more to it than that.

A flashlight or lantern might have helped.

15 hours ago, sospiri said:

Without exact dates and times and a lunar calendar, it's impossible to know what went right or wrong. Was he a moonwood believer? A moonwood skeptic? A moonwoodly open minded kinda guy? Did he even know how to harvest moonwood and when? Does a moonwood violin sound better when you play it on a full moon?

The point was that Luca actually did it rather than just talking about it.

He was from Trento and very near to some great tonewood sources. He knew many of the woodcutters personally.

I do not subscribe to these arcane methods of wood selection.