Maestronet Forums

Hello

Recently stumbled upon a nice gold and tortoise shell peccatte bow in a small auction. Here is the link

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/57761714_gold-mounted-dominique-peccatte-violin-bow-attrib

The bow was from the estate of huguette clark with christies tag. From my untrained eye, the item is a peccatte? why did christies move their auction items to a small auction to sell? My conspiracy theory is that someone was trying to prevent the bow from being auctioned at christies and tried to get it cheap by moving it to a small auction where not many people will notice it.

Not what happened.  Clark died in 2011.  I believe she bought this at a Christie's auction, back when they still sold violin stuff.  And never used it, hence the Christie's tag still on the bow.  That smaller auction house only had 2 violin items, and it was two violin bows from Clark's estate.  They apparently thought it might not be a Pecatte, but obviously someone two else did think it was. (or that they could sell it as a Pecatte.)  It sold for over 90K, and seemed to be in relatively good condition.

8 minutes ago, l33tplaya said:

Not what happened.  Clark died in 2011.  I believe she bought this at a Christie's auction, back when they still sold violin stuff.  And never used it, hence the Christie's tag still on the bow.  That smaller auction house only had 2 violin items, and it was two violin bows from Clark's estate.  They apparently thought it might not be a Pecatte, but obviously someone two else did think it was. (or that they could sell it as a Pecatte.)  It sold for over 90K, and seemed to be in relatively good condition.

yes but there were a lot of items from clarks estate sold on the same day also had the same christies tag. Not only musical instruments. 

Interesting bow noticed it a few weeks back, theres a few elements that dont fit with Peccatte,it seems like a mixture of parts or makers  but thats just my impression. One thing that stands out is the width of the facets on the stick under the frog ,the rather small pearl eyes and the contruction of the button. Its obviously a Tourte inspired bow, at least the frog and button,cant quite get a good view of the head.

7 hours ago, fiddlecollector said:

Interesting bow noticed it a few weeks back, theres a few elements that dont fit with Peccatte,it seems like a mixture of parts or makers  but thats just my impression. One thing that stands out is the width of the facets on the stick under the frog ,the rather small pearl eyes and the contruction of the button. Its obviously a Tourte inspired bow, at least the frog and button,cant quite get a good view of the head.

D-Peccatte_000_GAND-FRERES.jpg

Here is a picture of a peccatte borrowed from the french bow research institute showing the same small pearl eyes. Also Clark family owned at least 7 strads and these bows were discovered in her 5th ave apartment along with the kreutzer strad.

Hi, yes i forgot about this one and remembered it after i opened my mouth. :) can i ask how many Peccattes have you seen with mortices for the frog  like a Sartory era bow?? Peccattes usually have a wider top facet where the mortice is .

I am not saying that the previous owner couldnt afford or have a Peccatte,it doesnt matter if the family had 100 Strads  ,i `m just saying what i see.

There are a few bows like this around with collaboration between Peccatte and makers like Eury or Henry. I seem to get a Pajeot impression of the button,i dont know. See the collar on the button ,it is octagonal inside like some of the rings that are soldered on to save on gold.  I notice other  little things as well.

Any idea when the original Christies sale was ?

1 minute ago, fiddlecollector said:

Cant seem to find it in the Christies online  sold lots search, just wondering what their description was. If she died in 2011 how could she buy a bow in 2014 , i assume she bought it alot earlier.

The bows were from her estate that was being sold in 2014. Somehow the bows and some other items didnt make it to the auction block and the lots were bought from christies warehouse and being sold by this auction now.

A copy of "Violinist" magazine from 1920 -- google "ferrule paganini partello tourte" to see it -- discusses the dispersion of the Partello collection and mentions:

"One was Paganini's bow -- a Tourte -- and it is slightly worn near the frog, apparently from friction of the thumb or finger while using the stick. It has a large "T" engraved on the ferrule -- probably the only Tourte bow marked by the maker."

Figure that in 1920, Hugette Clark was about 14 years old, so it's not a stretch to imagine daddy stepping in and buying her the "best" bow currently available.

How much would Paganini's bow -- the ONLY Tourte bow marked by the maker -- be worth?

19 hours ago, Digger said:

A copy of "Violinist" magazine from 1920 -- google "ferrule paganini partello tourte" to see it -- discusses the dispersion of the Partello collection and mentions:

"One was Paganini's bow -- a Tourte -- and it is slightly worn near the frog, apparently from friction of the thumb or finger while using the stick. It has a large "T" engraved on the ferrule -- probably the only Tourte bow marked by the maker."

Figure that in 1920, Hugette Clark was about 14 years old, so it's not a stretch to imagine daddy stepping in and buying her the "best" bow currently available.

How much would Paganini's bow -- the ONLY Tourte bow marked by the maker -- be worth?

damn!