Sign in to follow this  
Mike Kolb

Hair gauge markings....

I'm guessing that most rehairers will use a Herdim gauge (or something similar) so I'm curious to see where others may have "marked their gauge" for a ballpark average amount of hair.  Here's a shot of mine and that particular mark has become the minimum amount I'll use for an average 4/4 stick, and usually a little more.  

Of course, viola or bass sticks would get more and I'll just try to 'eyeball' that, but perhaps you've arrived-at a set of markings on the Herdim that have worked well for you?  

I'd also be curious to know what the heck those little lines are actually supposed-to represent... like, maybe 10 hairs per-line or something?Thanks for reading :)P1080017.thumb.jpg.d361230a3cd5b4b6909c11ccc8aa786a.jpg

There are more qualified members than I to answer your question, but I'll throw in my 2 cents. The marks represent a cross section of 1/2 square mm of hair, not a particular number of hairs. The number of hairs would vary depending upon the thickness of the hair. You might notice that the slot in your hair gauge just happens to be 1 mm wide, such a coincidence! ;) Your mark is at 6.5 square mm, which I believe is pretty typical for violin bows. But the amount varies depending upon the strength and weight of the stick. Current Arcus carbon fiber bows have a number engraved into the stick under the frog which is the manufacturer recommended quantity of hair.

Here's an Arcus gauge shown with a Herdim, and as you can see they specify the meaning of the markings on their gauge. Maybe Herdim should've done that too.

IMG_0684.JPG

Thank you, Mark!  Yes, your Arcus gauge clearly shows the 1mm2 designation and I agree that it wouldn't have hurt Herdim to clarify the same.  By the way, I'm living in the greater Portland, OR area these days but grew up in SF and spent many years on the peninusula.... (having lived in Belmont, San Carlos, Redwood City, La Honda, San Mateo, etc) so it's nice to see someone from my old stomping grounds!  Happy holidays and thank you for your response.  

New member here (I think). Regarding this post, I was curious about what amount is recommended for bows for a 4/4 cello. Also, I noticed that the Arcus gauge has two slots, on marked with a treble clef and the other with a bass clef. What are the differences ... is it slot width? And exactly what do those marks signify? If I had to guess, I'd say that the treble clef is for violins and violas, and the bass clef is for .... cellos? Double basses? Either? The Arcus website isn't very helpful in explicating this, so your assistance would be greatly appreciated!