Sign in to follow this  
tchaikovsgay

Violin Holds?

There are many ways of holding the violin without the left hand, do you agree with these 2 points that any violin hold should follow them?

Artist in Balance:
http://www.artistinbalance.org/adjustments/

1)Shoulder rest should not press on acromion, as it restricts the movement of the shoulder joint.

Violin Secrets: 101 Strategies for the Advanced Violinist:

2)strings are parallel to the ground, to maximize the force of gravity for bowing the best sounding point

*I personally am struggling between freedom and security, even though my should rest fits my shoulder line, seems like I can't have both of them on the same posture...

1) When I used to play with a shoulder rest (a Kun one) I think it rested on my acromion, as you say. No, actually, quite a bit further in. Other than restriction of movement, it also caused me great pain and many times after rehearsal I could hardly play any more. I am not saying that this was the whole problem, as there was generally more tension then, but I don't consider it ideal either way. 

2) I am not sure about the stated reason. I guess if you can play without pain and hold the violin at the right angle for your bow arm, then I doubt a bit of tilt will make a difference. Not sure.

Just for fun, looking through the link...

''Remove your shoulder rest and place the violin on the collar bone.
Having the violin on the collar bone improves sound through bone resonance. ''

I do agree with the first recommendation, I play like that, but the reason stated just seems bollocks to me. Yes, there should be a difference in sound when the back does not touch the shoulder at all and only the end block rests on the collarbone, but, first of all, the angle changes a bit so what I hear might differ, and also, bone resonance.... the bone won't act as a speaker towards the audience, I'm pretty sure. Like when people rest it on the shoulder and say 'oh I feel closer to/one with the violin, I can feel the vibrations', yeah, so you're absorbing them. Sure, you might hear a fuller sound, but does the audience? No shoulder contact should help with the sound, especially the lower end, but I doubt the bone is at all helping with the projection.

The humerus is independent of the acromial end of the clavicle, at least as it applies to the range of motion needed to play the violin.  If you  experiment by constricting the movement of the acromial end you'll see that.  

Since most shoulder rests—and a violin without a rest—will be in at least partial contact with the clavicle, I don't see any difference whether touching the acromial end makes any difference.

I agree with the idea of trying to keep the strings fairly parallel to the floor.  But I also think the ideal is to not use a shoulder-rest* so the player is freer to manipulate the violin to the bow's advantage.  This pertains especially to rotating the violin along the axis, but raising and lowering the strings a little is helpful, too.

* If someone ever invents a shoulder-rest which allows as much freedom to manipulate the violin as a player has without one, I'd be the first to buy it. :) 

MO  

Never thought much about violin holds, but getting the neck and fingerboard across the uchidachi's neck would certainly suggest some valid approaches, and the scroll would be useful for strikes.  You never know when you might have to take a Taser away from someone outside a concert hall these days............OH!, never mind:ph34r::lol:

12 hours ago, thirteenthsteph said:

1) When I used to play with a shoulder rest (a Kun one) I think it rested on my acromion, as you say. No, actually, quite a bit further in. Other than restriction of movement, it also caused me great pain and many times after rehearsal I could hardly play any more. I am not saying that this was the whole problem, as there was generally more tension then, but I don't consider it ideal either way. 

2) I am not sure about the stated reason. I guess if you can play without pain and hold the violin at the right angle for your bow arm, then I doubt a bit of tilt will make a difference. Not sure.

Just for fun, looking through the link...

''Remove your shoulder rest and place the violin on the collar bone.
Having the violin on the collar bone improves sound through bone resonance. ''

I do agree with the first recommendation, I play like that, but the reason stated just seems bollocks to me. Yes, there should be a difference in sound when the back does not touch the shoulder at all and only the end block rests on the collarbone, but, first of all, the angle changes a bit so what I hear might differ, and also, bone resonance.... the bone won't act as a speaker towards the audience, I'm pretty sure. Like when people rest it on the shoulder and say 'oh I feel closer to/one with the violin, I can feel the vibrations', yeah, so you're absorbing them. Sure, you might hear a fuller sound, but does the audience? No shoulder contact should help with the sound, especially the lower end, but I doubt the bone is at all helping with the projection.

Thx