Nick Allen

Nick Allen's Bench.

The FB is about done. Gotta smooth out a few bumps on the underside. 

The little varnish sample I put in a bare rib is bone dry in about 36 hours with UV.  Also had to fill in a little chip out on the playing surface with some ebony dust and CA. 

IMG_20180827_004236.jpg

IMG_20180828_014311.jpg

IMG_20180828_121758.jpg

IMG_20180828_121746.jpg

IMG_20180828_121754.jpg

So this neck just looks thin to me. The measurements add up, but it looks thin. Near the nut it's at 19.5, and near the heel it's at ~21.5. I think that's standard.  I'm sure that I made the FB the proper dimensions. 5mm edges and a 37mm radius, so the FB shouldn't skew overall thickness. I guess that I'm getting worried like I did with the top being too thin. 

At any rate, I'm setting the neck now. It's all going jolly well. I'm shootin' for a 31mm projection and a 150mm length. 375mm string length is coming into place too. 

I'm using another viola bridge as a dummy bridge because it's 51mm and gives me a nice visual reference when sighting down for alignment. It also happens to fit the shape of the tp plate exactly. What are the odds. 

Even so, it overhangs the bass bar by a good 2.5mm or so. So I think that I'll go with a 48mm bridge for this guy. I'll still sound test it with this wider bridge. 

IMG_20180904_021029.jpg

IMG_20180904_020911.jpg

IMG_20180904_020935.jpg

IMG_20180904_021106.jpg

7 hours ago, arglebargle said:

A 31mm projection seems really high for a violin, and what is the 150mm length in reference to?

This is a viola. Sorry if I didn't clarify. 

150mm is in reference to the neck stop length for the viola. 150mm seems to be optimal, with a 375 fixed scale length, regardless of corpus length. 

On 9/5/2018 at 3:27 AM, lpr5184 said:

Looks right on the money. Nice mortice.

Thanks! I worked really hard to make sure it fit really well and kept the neck within the right parameters. I focused on not cramming the root into the mortise too tight. Just enough to be able to lift the body up by the neck and move it around a little. 

Here it is strung up in the white:

IMG_20180909_011414.jpg

IMG_20180909_011429.jpg

IMG_20180909_011448.jpg

4 hours ago, scordatura said:

How does it sound/play Nick? If you are interested, I am friends with some of the Pittsburgh Symphony players to try it out.

I'm not sure how it sounds just yet. I got it set up in the wee hours of the night and I live in an apartment. But it's a new day and I'll be able to sound test it in short time. 

I'd love to have an experienced player give it a whirl and give some feedback/advise. If we could arrange for that it would be a tremendous opportunity. 

11 hours ago, Nick Allen said:

Here it is strung up in the white:

If you use the neck button chamfer to create 2 tiny triangles where it intersects the chamfer of the back It will help define the shape of the button.

17 minutes ago, Janito said:

If you use the neck button chamfer to create 2 tiny triangles where it intersects the chamfer of the back It will help define the shape of the button.

Oh yes. I'm thinking about compensating with the chamfer where it leads into the edge. The button is a little wider than it is tall, so I think that I can coerce the perceived shape to make it appear more full-round. Like blend it into the edgework with a slightly heavier chamfer so the chamfer edge that meets the face of the button makes a nice circle.

I've found out first hand that it's really easy to over do the triangles at the button junctions. It's one of those features that I think is the mark of a good craftsman, along with nicely executed scroll eyes, perfect purfling miters and gracefully carved f holes.

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:35 AM, Janito said:

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:00 AM, Nick Allen said:

Oh yes. I'm thinking about compensating with the chamfer where it leads into the edge. The button is a little wider than it is tall, so I think that I can coerce the perceived shape to make it appear more full-round. Like blend it into the edgework with a slightly heavier chamfer so the chamfer edge that meets the face of the button makes a nice circle.

I've found out first hand that it's really easy to over do the triangles at the button junctions. It's one of those features that I think is the mark of a good craftsman, along with nicely executed scroll eyes, perfect purfling miters and gracefully carved f holes.

This concept is new to me and I don't understand the two triangle thingy...can one of you draw an illustration, please?

25 minutes ago, lpr5184 said:

This concept is new to me and I don't understand the two triangle thingy...can one of you draw an illustration, please?

The Lady Blunt

060_24222_0103_button.jpg

Anyways, I've made some more progress on both the viola and violin. 

I found a nice little local shop and bought some strings on their advice. 

C - Spirocore

G - Spirocore

D - Larsen

A - Larsen

The Spirocore C and G really clarified the originally wooly sounding Tonica.

The Larsen added some much needed clarity as well. 

I'll post some audio samples hopefully in a day or two once I get my audio interface and mic set up. 

All I can say for now, as far as tone goes, it has a very "juicy" low end, with lots of power. But I don't know if I'm entirely sold on the upper registers yet. Maybe let the strings break in. 

IMG_20180910_225925.jpg

I've flattened the back batten and scribed the outline. The back comes to 356 straight across. I imagine measuring over arch will add a mm or a little more. 

As far as the corners go, I don't know if I'll keep that outline for them. I'll eyeball them as I finalize the outline, hopefully in the next day or so. 

IMG_20180910_210635.jpg

IMG_20180911_010731~2.jpg