Sign in to follow this  
Nick Allen

Nick Allen's Bench.

On 8/6/2018 at 1:31 PM, uncle duke said:

Does the 3/8" Kobalt chisel work better than the 1/4" kobalt for you?

I believe that's a screwdriver you may be looking at. But I'd recommend a 1/4" and a 1/2" for most jobs. 

The viola scroll is taking shape. 

The top seems to be very flexible. I have the whole top at 3mm right now, and when I flex it in my hands it seems like it's too easy to do. I've never made a viola so maybe I'm just used to the stiffness of a violin top. But once I have the bass bar in I'll feel more at ease with the thought of stringing it up. 

IMG_20180810_010622.jpg

IMG_20180810_010641.jpg

Looking good, my man. Haven't done a viola yet but I can imagine that the increased area and similar thicknesses can make for more flex. 

You don't like making garlands? You crazy! Maybe we ought to team up, cause I love it. 

On 8/10/2018 at 1:28 AM, JacksonMaberry said:

Looking good, my man. Haven't done a viola yet but I can imagine that the increased area and similar thicknesses can make for more flex. 

You don't like making garlands? You crazy! Maybe we ought to team up, cause I love it. 

Thanks Jackson. You gotta post more on your bench thread. I think we wanna see what you've been up to as well!

I think you're right about the relative thickness being lesser here. 

Well I put the bass bar in, and it feels much better now. Nice and flexible and free to move, bit not flimsy. 

IMG_20180813_193041.jpg

I've been having a lot of difficulty positing images to MN from my phone, but i'm pretty active on Instagram, which is a piece of cake. 

I'd be inclined to adjust the bass bar, unless it's sounding good as is as you tap around the plate. You know what they say, if it ain't broke...

On 8/13/2018 at 9:53 PM, lpr5184 said:

Good clean tidy work.

Thank you. I'm striving to be as deliberate as I can. Of course there are still many things left to improve. 

The Strad model is getting linings:

IMG_20180816_013921.jpg

Corpus almost finished. Only have to finish the edge work and scrape some things here and there. 

I tried the method of gluing the top as suggested by Jim Bress and it worked beautifully. No slop or mess inside and outside. 

IMG_20180818_102832.jpg

33 minutes ago, Nick Allen said:

Corpus almost finished. Only have to finish the edge work and scrape some things here and there. 

I tried the method of gluing the top as suggested by Jim Breast and it worked beautifully. No slop or mess inside and outside. 

Glad it worked for you.  Jim Breast :lol:

Got the FB going. The ebony is surprisingly good quality for what I paid for it. 

At least it planes nicely and seems very hard. I think I'll leave it it's natural color. 

IMG_20180823_234445.jpg

Another picture. There's quite a bit of detritus in there right now. I'm either hoping it all just settles to the bottom, or I can re-warm the varnish and filter it out with a panty hose or something. It's a bit more deep red irl. 

IMG_20180824_221315.jpg

IMG_20180825_010010.jpg