Sign in to follow this  
Nick Allen

Nick Allen's Bench.

Recommended Posts

That would be cool. But the real reason that there are 5 pegs pictured is that I tend to buy sets of pegs in sets of 5, in case I goof one of them pretty bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been a while since I've posted on my thread. Stressful times. But I've been at it nonetheless. 

Number 1 is all finished. I've been putting off varnishing it for like a year now because I was so intimidated. And for good reason, as my skills at it are bollocks. But it's all ready to play. 

IMG_20180429_211630.jpg

IMG_20180429_211605.jpg

IMG_20180429_211612.jpg

IMG_20180429_211558.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So apparently Maestronet won't let me post photos over 4mb in size, which for some reason any shots of the full body come out to be.  I'll try to reduce them in size and repost. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is #2 with ground and first coat of clear. It's Joe's ground system and the Dark Rosin varnish...

You might be able to spot some burn on the back and ribs. I shall now always raise the grain and make sure the seal is 100% before applying any color of any kind. 

IMG_20180429_221447.jpg

IMG_20180429_221503.jpg

IMG_20180429_221524.jpg

IMG_20180429_221514.jpg

IMG_20180429_211839.jpg

IMG_20180429_211833.jpg

IMG_20180429_211820.jpg

IMG_20180429_211828.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I have a conundrum. My viola has a, for lack of better knowledge, poplar back. But I think that some people may have pointed out that it may be walnut. 

So I'm considering what to do for graduations on this guy. 

IMG_20180609_151030.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Color and lack of large pores (iPhone view) makes me think poplar (tulip poplar).   If you have a cut off to measure SG that may be your best guide. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Jim Bress said:

Color and lack of large pores (iPhone view) makes me think poplar (tulip poplar).   If you have a cut off to measure SG that may be your best guide. 

I'm not sure if it is tulip. Here is some tulip poplar for comparison. 

1528585565620754913290198178895.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a close up of tulip poplar pores and the same wood in larger view.  BTW the "racing stripes" in your back are common in tulip poplar and are mineral deposits.  If that's what you have.  Pictures of wood and wood in hand are a big difference, so I'm not really arguing with you just giving you some visual options.

1536115346_tulippoplarpores.thumb.jpg.1e5966a6fa530dbb3e4c9575ba39419a.jpg291979467_tulippoplar.thumb.jpg.7e85150727039da4493c5d1b0e49b8cd.jpg

Here are the same views with a piece of black walnut.  

481179592_blackwalnutpores.thumb.jpg.eb85c3351bba62cf877af03e4279d072.jpg1575331206_walnutontulippoplar.thumb.jpg.b63eec4eedc574186d3d4a42a154c491.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Nick Allen said:

Cutting some necks out. One for my next violin and one for my viola. 

IMG_20180609_182532.jpg

I don't know, Nick.  I think some "naturally occurring" -- meaning, not deliberately created -- unevenness adds to the character and visual interest, particularly if you are leaving the varnish fresh.  Then again, that may be more the case for some varnishes than others.  Look forward to seeing your work in Cleveland!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Nick Allen said:

So I have a conundrum. My viola has a, for lack of better knowledge, poplar back. But I think that some people may have pointed out that it may be walnut. 

So I'm considering what to do for graduations on this guy. 

IMG_20180609_151030.jpg

Walnut? No way.  Tulip poplar. No way.  It is some kind of real Populus. I have a piece like that that I used for a belly. I really messed up on the purfling, so I'm making a replacement.  It's for a 5 string viola, with a violin string length.  The body is just too big, 380 mm/15 1/4" to call a violin. Isn't it?  

The grey lines are in mine too.  The replacement has some insect holes I'll have to fill.  It carves really nice.  It doesn't have ANY kind of waxy feel to it at all.  Do you know what I mean?  Some maples have that.  The birch I used had it. Cherry doesn't seem to have it. Tulip poplar can have it.  Walnut doesn't seem to have it.  It's a waxy feeling creaminess.  

I made my first belly, making  it like a violin.  It was thicker, and the tap tones were like the Gofriller I have almost ready to glue up, right trough F,  about 350.  This one I went somewhat thicker than the Maggini violin grads (it's based on a Maggini cello); 2.5 - 3 mm.  Pretty normal.  It has a 3rd lower mode 5, and a 5th lower mode 2.  But it doesn't have a bass bar in it yet, and the recurve isn't done at all.  

Anyway, here is a shot of it:

20180610_090422.thumb.jpg.be0ad338f2d4bf2058ce500b79387703.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2018 at 9:36 AM, Ken_N said:

Walnut? No way.  Tulip poplar. No way.  It is some kind of real Populus. I have a piece like that that I used for a belly. I really messed up on the purfling, so I'm making a replacement.  It's for a 5 string viola, with a violin string length.  The body is just too big, 380 mm/15 1/4" to call a violin. Isn't it?  

The grey lines are in mine too.  The replacement has some insect holes I'll have to fill.  It carves really nice.  It doesn't have ANY kind of waxy feel to it at all.  Do you know what I mean?  Some maples have that.  The birch I used had it. Cherry doesn't seem to have it. Tulip poplar can have it.  Walnut doesn't seem to have it.  It's a waxy feeling creaminess.  

I made my first belly, making  it like a violin.  It was thicker, and the tap tones were like the Gofriller I have almost ready to glue up, right trough F,  about 350.  This one I went somewhat thicker than the Maggini violin grads (it's based on a Maggini cello); 2.5 - 3 mm.  Pretty normal.  It has a 3rd lower mode 5, and a 5th lower mode 2.  But it doesn't have a bass bar in it yet, and the recurve isn't done at all.  

Anyway, here is a shot of it:

20180610_090422.thumb.jpg.be0ad338f2d4bf2058ce500b79387703.jpg

That does look more similar to mine. 

I've started graduating the back now. Hogging out all of the excess was a breeze. It took me like ten minutes!

I've started with 4mm in the bouts, and decided to take it to about 7-8 in the center. Then, I'll play around with it and feel how it flexes in my hands and whatnot. Tap tones and other crap, too. 

I'm not ready to delve into plate tuning just yet. Will I ever? Maybe. But for now I want to develop an almost intuition that some luthiers claim to have over the wood. 

IMG_20180611_200446.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a replacement, and I had to put it in to mark the outline.  I'm working on fixing stuff.  It is FAR easier to just do it right from the start.  But I've learned a lot from fixing.  Probably more than just making.  Mostly: you have to think about what you're doing.

Ken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I need to get this back done stat. The ribs are starting to straighten back near the corners ever so slightly. Gotta get the garland affixed before they warp too much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.