Sign in to follow this  
Nick Allen

Nick Allen's Bench.

13 hours ago, Nick Allen said:

It would seem that this method would put the holes far too low on my pegbox templates. 

15185898378965179377678482002407.jpg

I agree it makes the pegs look low on my template as well.  Especially the D peg (violin) or g peg (viola).  The proximity to the bottom of the peg box concerns me, but so does strings not clearing the peg closer to the nut.  A compromise I'm still refining. 

1 hour ago, Jim Bress said:

I agree it makes the pegs look low on my template as well.  Especially the D peg (violin) or g peg (viola).  The proximity to the bottom of the peg box concerns me, but so does strings not clearing the peg closer to the nut.  A compromise I'm still refining. 

It's almost like that method is perfect for pegboxes/heads that are cranked back in relation to the neck plane. 

Used that amazing Kutzall to crate a rough shelf to do the outline. Got most of the upper bout close with the rasp. It's almost like this Liogier rasp cuts faster with less pressure. 

IMG_20180214_161243.jpg

IMG_20180214_161208.jpg

IMG_20180214_161228.jpg

If you're fairly new to this,,,,rough arch, then blend the arching to current edge, then recut the platform then blend arching again, for 2x the practice, like doing two fiddles in a row,,,,, or not, it's just practice.

Often the corners and c-bouts are a bit thicker than the rest of the edges.

Looking good.

6 hours ago, Evan Smith said:

If you're fairly new to this,,,,rough arch, then blend the arching to current edge, then recut the platform then blend arching again, for 2x the practice, like doing two fiddles in a row,,,,, or not, it's just practice.

Often the corners and c-bouts are a bit thicker than the rest of the edges.

Looking good.

Thanks Evan. I think you're right about doing it while the edge is thick. Gives more opportunity for correcting as I go. 

This poplar carves so easily. 

I started to rough arching it. Gotta get that long arch in check first, though. 

IMG_20180217_020143.jpg

On 2/14/2018 at 1:30 AM, Nick Allen said:

It would seem that this method would put the holes far too low on my pegbox templates. 

15185898378965179377678482002407.jpg

Matt’s diagram indicates the junction of the top of the fingerboard, and front of the nut...looks like you are to low on the 0 point

1 hour ago, James M. Jones said:

Matt’s diagram indicates the junction of the top of the fingerboard, and front of the nut...looks like you are to low on the 0 point

Yeah. The diagram/doodle looks like the line is stricken through the convergence of the neck gluing surface and the bottom of the pegbox side of the nut. 

Nick if you are routing the purf plateform start with a depth setting that allows the corners and button to be thicker. Maybe let that thickness run an inch to either side of the corners and past the center line of the button. Then reset the cutter to decrease the edge thickness for the bouts. Maybe you want the C bouts thicker than upper and lowers too?  Then using a flat chisel just blend the thicknesses as you see fit. 

3 minutes ago, Mike Spencer said:

Nick if you are routing the purf plateform start with a depth setting that allows the corners and button to be thicker. Maybe let that thickness run an inch to either side of the corners and past the center line of the button. Then reset the cutter to decrease the edge thickness for the bouts. Maybe you want the C bouts thicker than upper and lowers too?  Then using a flat chisel just blend the thicknesses as you see fit. 

That's a good idea actually. Right now it's at around 6 mm. I want a final edge thickness of about 3.8-4 mm. I'm gonna take the edge down to 4.7 mm and use Roger Hargrave's fluting technique. 

23 minutes ago, Mike Spencer said:

That's how I do it.

On 2/21/2018 at 8:38 AM, MikeC said:

Looks good!   That's poplar?  The color makes it look like walnut. 

Now that you mention it, I'm beginning to question whether or not this is poplar myself. It was listed and sold to me as European poplar. But it has grain qualities similar to walnut. 

15195268799883086485553791550872.jpg