Sign in to follow this  
Nick Allen

Nick Allen's Bench.

12 hours ago, catnip said:

Nice arching and a gorgeous back.  I noticed above that you use ( or have used) potassium silicate (water glass) in your ground treatment.  Do you use it on the also on the inside?  Have you noticed any acoustical and/or visual benefits or side effects from using it?

The potassium Silicate is really just an experiment. I know that it's not unheard of to use as a sort of treatment before the actual ground. I didn't apply it inside, though. 

As far as visual benefits, I haven't noticed that much. I'd have to do an A/B to see anything, I would imagine. 

Acoustic advantages are kind of shrouded in mystery too. I'm using it based on someone else's storied accounts, and hoping for the best. It's supposed to decrease damping, bringing out the highs. 

On 6/11/2020 at 7:37 PM, Nick Allen said:

The potassium Silicate is really just an experiment. I know that it's not unheard of to use as a sort of treatment before the actual ground. I didn't apply it inside, though. 

As far as visual benefits, I haven't noticed that much. I'd have to do an A/B to see anything, I would imagine. 

Acoustic advantages are kind of shrouded in mystery too. I'm using it based on someone else's storied accounts, and hoping for the best. It's supposed to decrease damping, bringing out the highs. 

Hey Nick. Potassium Silicate has an PH of 12.7 in concentrated form. Some say that it is a harmful base/alkali to the wood. I treated a couple of instruments with it and they seem to be OK 25 yrs. later. 

You have to take that Sacconi varnish chapter with a very large grain of salt as you probably know. ;)

On 6/13/2020 at 9:53 AM, scordatura said:

Hey Nick. Potassium Silicate has an PH of 12.7 in concentrated form. Some say that it is a harmful base/alkali to the wood. I treated a couple of instruments with it and they seem to be OK 25 yrs. later. 

You have to take that Sacconi varnish chapter with a very large grain of salt as you probably know. ;)

I'm reading through Sacconi and he claims a few suspect ideas, so I'm taking the whole thing with some healthy scepticism. 

On 6/25/2020 at 10:27 PM, Jim Bress said:

Nice baby bump!

Haha thanks. I'm expecting and the due date is about 5 more days to delivery, unvarnished of course. But I also don't condone shellacking a newborn either. 

I'm at the point with the cello where I'm over it and just want it done at this point. Don't get me wrong, I'm really excited to hear it and see it nice and varnished and polished up, but the romance of making dissolved a few weeks ago. 

I’m sure the romance will be rekindled during setup. You probably shouldn’t have replied to my post in kind. All my usual music and tool related ads have been replaced with ads featuring expectant mothers. :lol:

Thanks guys! The flames really jumped out once the ground was applied. I was honestly surprised by the result. There seems to be some kind of mineral deposit/remnants of a knot in the first photo of the scroll. Neat. Here's some side shots de la volute:

IMG_20200718_100125.jpg

IMG_20200718_100139.jpg

One side is very nice, difficult to find such one.

yes on the second one we can see the knot line. but with pegs and final varnish it should be little less noticeable.

You will continue with a clear varnish?

1 hour ago, D.A.T Cello said:

One side is very nice, difficult to find such one.

yes on the second one we can see the knot line. but with pegs and final varnish it should be little less noticeable.

You will continue with a clear varnish?

Yeah it's getting come clear, then colored varnish layers, then clear to finish it off. 

Very nice neck block but with that strong grain line it looks like a graft.  One thing that you might want try to minimize the dark grain line is use a super fine 0000 brush with a matching water color pigment to lighten it.   Here is an example of what I mean.  I had a small chip out carving the quilted maple scroll and when I glued the chip there was a visible line when I did the ground coat.  Here is a before and after.

IMG_1118.thumb.JPG.fb592f5a34ac30d8808771cc194642ba.JPG

I try to make it slightly lighter than the background.

IMG_1119.thumb.JPG.eb928347428b78f6688fc45fe8cd4c23.JPG

Then after several coats of varnish you won't be able to see it at all

On 7/24/2020 at 9:04 AM, catnip said:

Very nice neck block but with that strong grain line it looks like a graft.  One thing that you might want try to minimize the dark grain line is use a super fine 0000 brush with a matching water color pigment to lighten it.   Here is an example of what I mean.  I had a small chip out carving the quilted maple scroll and when I glued the chip there was a visible line when I did the ground coat.  Here is a before and after.

IMG_1118.thumb.JPG.fb592f5a34ac30d8808771cc194642ba.JPG

I try to make it slightly lighter than the background.

IMG_1119.thumb.JPG.eb928347428b78f6688fc45fe8cd4c23.JPG

Then after several coats of varnish you won't be able to see it at all

'snotta bad idea. Perhaps I could use a combination of water colors and licopodium to achieve the same effect. 

1 hour ago, J.DiLisio said:

Looks great!  Looking forward to seeing the completed quartet. 

1 hour ago, catnip said:

Excellent job

Thanks guys. I'm happy to be able to hear it all together soon too. It'll be great (I am biased, though).

Unfortunately, the projection on the cello shot up to 90mm after being in the light box for a few days. It turns out the neck bowed backwards quite a bit while the varnish was drying under UV. So I had to pull the FB, re plane the neck, re scoop the FB, flatten the underside, and glue it back on. It's at 84mm now, and should settle close to normal after it's broken in. Huge PITA. So more unexpected work ahead...

Hello, it looks great.

I hope I will do so nice corners & fluting one day...

Did you made some correction on the neck and coner by gluing additionnal piece of wood to get the righ length,? I ask this due to the color change. It seems very well done.

Nice varnish. 

David
Cello #1 : https://youtu.be/Ik1T6smpTFc
Cello #2 : https://youtu.be/rBX_9LnsoQM

On 8/2/2020 at 8:40 AM, David A.T. said:

Hello, it looks great.

I hope I will do so nice corners & fluting one day...

Did you made some correction on the neck and coner by gluing additionnal piece of wood to get the righ length,? I ask this due to the color change. It seems very well done.

Nice varnish. 

David
Cello #1 : https://youtu.be/Ik1T6smpTFc
Cello #2 : https://youtu.be/rBX_9LnsoQM

Thanks!

I had to graft on a little foot to the neck root to extend it in order to make it the correct length as the piece was too short from the get go. I'm weirdly proud of this little joint as I think it's the best joint I've ever made. As in, no glue line visible. Like the two pieces just kind of phasing into one another!

The corner just kind of ended up that way. Perhaps the ground didn't absorb properly there. I don't really know. But after polishing that should blend together nicely.