Nick Allen

Nick Allen's Bench.

On 5/12/2020 at 11:19 PM, Fossil Ledges said:

Is gorgeous!

17 hours ago, scordatura said:

Very elegant Nick. Bee stings look good and very uniform.

Thanks fellas. They get a little better each time. Purfling is an elusive mistress for me personally in that I have particular issues with it. Some people seem to just be able to do great purfling jobs pretty quickly, but perhaps I don't have the right mindset about it with a consistent plan of attack every time.  Is it just part of learning, and trying out what works for me, doing several shoddy jobs until I stick with one technique and master that?

Yes, so it seems that is how the old masters did it and that is how Mirecort and Markneukirchen did it. I guess if you did purfling all day every day, you would have one technique and stick with it. We have a lot more artistic freedom today!

On 5/14/2020 at 4:01 PM, nplusplus said:

Very nice.

Thanks! 

Applied some ground to another fiddle of mine. Holtier Rosin ground with a mixture of Potassium Silicate underneath and some color. 

IMG_20200523_162434.jpg

IMG_20200523_162442.jpg

IMG_20200523_162447.jpg

IMG_20200523_162452.jpg

IMG_20200523_162457.jpg

IMG_20200523_162503.jpg

On 5/14/2020 at 1:32 PM, Nick Allen said:

Thanks fellas. They get a little better each time. Purfling is an elusive mistress for me personally in that I have particular issues with it. Some people seem to just be able to do great purfling jobs pretty quickly, but perhaps I don't have the right mindset about it with a consistent plan of attack every time.  Is it just part of learning, and trying out what works for me, doing several shoddy jobs until I stick with one technique and master that?

Purfling continues to elude me, mistress or otherwise....

10 hours ago, Nick Allen said:

Mistakes were made...

IMG_20200519_233844.jpg

It appears a number of Strads have this feature as well so you're in good company.
media.php?irn=20363

17 hours ago, Derek Callaway said:

Brilliant recovery. 

4 hours ago, nplusplus said:

Oh, I like that. Going to remember that one.

Thanks guys. The funny thing is is that it's a French purfling strip, and the back and top will have Italian. But if someone other than a competition judge were to notice that I'd be really surprised. 

6 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

What width are you using?  Cello purfling widths seem to vary a great deal.  

I'm using 1.8mm fiber purfling. It's not my favorite these days but it's what we have. I find that I have a harder time getting it to expand and fill the channel like real wood inlay. Plus it doesn't compress much at all if you have a tighter area. 

4 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

That's interesting.  The Rogeri model I'm working with has 1.4 purfling which looks thin, but it is what it is.  I plan on ordering purfling from https://rauchtonewood.com/.  I'm slow enough that there's no rush. :) 

Nice. I really like the looks of their Maple-Pear-Maple. I like that darker middle strip. 

As far as thinner and thicker purflings, I can't say that I really sway one way or the other. I like both, but mostly on a case-by-case basis. 

Like I think DG violins look good with a thinner inlay. But Strad and Guad models look nice with a bolder inlay. But that's just my subjective taste, which is always changing anyways. 

I'm talking about purfling for a cello. Anyway your channels look nice.  Purfling tends to be one of my demons.

On 6/4/2020 at 2:13 PM, Jim Bress said:

I'm talking about purfling for a cello. Anyway your channels look nice.  Purfling tends to be one of my demons.

It's difficult for several reasons. But I get better with each go at it. 

Here's the cello back that I've been working on. I've probably lost a few pounds in the arching process! 

I think that the purfling turned out nice on this one, in my opinion. Not perfect, and probably not very classical, but I think it's okay. Still much room to improve. 

IMG_20200605_182404.thumb.jpg.236b4a450b34ae3a2d862b17fc90aa25.jpg

IMG_20200605_182354.jpg

IMG_20200605_182401.jpg

IMG_20200605_182358.jpg

IMG_20200605_182408.jpg

Scraping the arching. I like doing this late at night, where there's no diffuse light to interfere with my lamp. 

I like how the imperfections are revealed once you wet the wood, the little subtle undulations that need to be gently scraped out. Patience. 

IMG_20200606_235705.jpg

IMG_20200606_235657.jpg

IMG_20200606_235635.jpg

IMG_20200606_235625.jpg

The arching looks great. Actually, that whole back has a nice flow to it. 
I noticed you purfled over the location pin holes.  Do you cut the pins to fit around the purfling before you put it together?
I assumed Strad did purflings after closing the box for that reason. 

6 hours ago, DoorMouse said:

The arching looks great. Actually, that whole back has a nice flow to it. 
I noticed you purfled over the location pin holes.  Do you cut the pins to fit around the purfling before you put it together?
I assumed Strad did purflings after closing the box for that reason. 

I do cut the pins in half. I'm not a huge fan of having the locating pins intact when I glue the plate on, though. A nightmare for a future restorer or repair person. 

The half pin is a fairly common feature on violins, violas, etc. 

6 hours ago, Ernest Martel said:

Real Nice!

Thanks, E. I need to clean my inlay up more. But this one, while there's a lil wagglehere and there, I'm happy with. Not entirely satisfied, as if I'll ever be, but happy. I want to be able to inlay as clean as you, to have that workmanship in my back pocket, thus setting me free to indulge my style. 

1 hour ago, Nick Allen said:

Thanks, E. I need to clean my inlay up more. But this one, while there's a lil wagglehere and there, I'm happy with. Not entirely satisfied, as if I'll ever be, but happy. I want to be able to inlay as clean as you, to have that workmanship in my back pocket, thus setting me free to indulge my style. 

Remember, I don't handcut the purfling channel, I use the Croen tool. So I think you have me beat hands down. I like your clean work.

Nice arching and a gorgeous back.  I noticed above that you use ( or have used) potassium silicate (water glass) in your ground treatment.  Do you use it on the also on the inside?  Have you noticed any acoustical and/or visual benefits or side effects from using it?