Sign in to follow this  
Nick Allen

Nick Allen's Bench.

I recently found lots of this stuff by the river- it works wonders on the appearance of the piece.

I would split it open so you get a strip instead of a tube.

nice work!

3 hours ago, Anthony Panke said:

I recently found lots of this stuff by the river- it works wonders on the appearance of the piece.

I would split it open so you get a strip instead of a tube.

nice work!

Yeah it's great. I did split it open. It's really dry, so it tends to break into smaller pieces. I wonder if I can't steam it, and then press it flat rolled out while it dries. 

34 minutes ago, Nick Allen said:

Yeah it's great. I did split it open. It's really dry, so it tends to break into smaller pieces. I wonder if I can't steam it, and then press it flat rolled out while it dries. 

Yes, you can do that.  So, you're wetting the back, burnishing with the horsetail, wetting, burnishing etc?

10 hours ago, Thomas Coleman said:

Yes, you can do that.  So, you're wetting the back, burnishing with the horsetail, wetting, burnishing etc?

Cool. I'm only wetting after I scrape. I'm wetting, scraping smooth, then wetting again. The equisetum will be the very last step. 

7 hours ago, Anthony Panke said:

Put it in a glass of water before you want to use it, it’ll swell up and be easier to use. 

So its good to use even if it's not completely dry?

I get mine moist (or use fresh), slice lengthwise, and flatten/dry in a book or something.   Then  I stick a piece of tape to the back.  Cut up into about 1cm squares.

2 hours ago, Thomas Coleman said:

I get mine moist (or use fresh), slice lengthwise, and flatten/dry in a book or something.   Then  I stick a piece of tape to the back.  Cut up into about 1cm squares.

I wish that there was a local source for it here in Western PA. But I think I can make my little stuff work. 

On 8/2/2019 at 12:45 PM, Nick Allen said:

Varnish!

IMG_20190801_164456.jpg

IMG_20190801_164506.jpg

Varnish looks fantastic, but all those woodchips and sawdust on your clothes is making me nervous! (Assuming your varnish is wet :D )

1 hour ago, BigFryMan said:

Varnish looks fantastic, but all those woodchips and sawdust on your clothes is making me nervous! (Assuming your varnish is wet :D )

Thanks! 

The varnish is dry here. Just some orange peel going on. 

Prepared the top to accept the outline and get rough sawn. Doing center joints with my #6 is really easy now that I've worked out the technique. 

IMG_20190818_233327.jpg

IMG_20190818_233332.jpg

IMG_20190818_233348.jpg

6 hours ago, scordatura said:

Hey Nick. Do use a rubbed or clamped joint?

I use a rubbed joint. No clamps. I've found that these joints are really facilitated with good, fresh hide glue. I was having troubles before because my glue was skunked so to speak. 

Finally got around to cleaning and organizing the bench space. It feels so good to be able to work on a clutter free surface. Too bad I have a hard time keeping it that way...

IMG_20190825_230320.jpg

Alright. This stupid thing is finally finished. The varnish ended up a lil over polished, and that much is apparent on the back and some parts of the top. But I'm not that upset over it, as it may come into its own in some years. Gonna let this baby settle in. The sound is pretty good actually. The post is a little north, but I'll adjust that tomorrow. 

It's also much less orange in person. More of a reddish brownish goldish. I'll see if I can't get better true color pictures later. 

IMG_20190918_214120.jpg

IMG_20190918_214129.jpg

IMG_20190918_214202.jpg

IMG_20190918_214144.jpg

IMG_20190918_214135.jpg

IMG_20190918_214140.jpg

IMG_20190918_214148.jpg

5 hours ago, scordatura said:

Looking gook Nick! Scroll is very well done. What did the big guy say?

Thanks guys!

He said that it was well done, but pointed out some areas where it could be better, like the throat, and how the chin is a little narrow on the back of the pegbox. 

I've seen several violins in this year with that satin smooth look.  I really can't get into that at all.  It's varnished.  Shouldn't it shine?  I think so.  If the shine isn't on the varnish, where did it go?  French polish it, or pull out some car wax.   That's what it is for.

That's my thoughts, and I feel better now.  Luckily, no one critiques mine.

Yours has a nice shine!  I like it.

When I clean my bench off, it might last a couple of days.  I like to work, not pick up.  I really should start putting things away.

Nick that’s a real nice looking scroll! Craftsmanship is great and shape and details excellent. For new looking fiddle, one small nit picky suggestion is about the pegs. When using ebony pegs sometimes (most of the time)  the ebony is brownish under the stain that comes on them. Once the shafts are shaved try blacking them with what ever you are using on your finger boards. Well done sir!

On 9/19/2019 at 3:29 PM, Ken_N said:

I've seen several violins in this year with that satin smooth look.  I really can't get into that at all.  It's varnished.  Shouldn't it shine?  I think so.  If the shine isn't on the varnish, where did it go?  French polish it, or pull out some car wax.   That's what it is for.

That's my thoughts, and I feel better now.  Luckily, no one critiques mine.

Yours has a nice shine!  I like it.

When I clean my bench off, it might last a couple of days.  I like to work, not pick up.  I really should start putting things away.

While I can relate to that sentiment somewhat, with the shiny instruments, I myself prefer the leathery sheen kind of look. I just find it so classy. 

But I do like the shine in some cases. 

Btw my bench is already a mess again. 

I guess I should clarify.  I don't want a guitar finish on a violin.  Many new ones have that.  I don't like that at all.  Too much cosmetic perfection.  I like texture on the varnish, and I guess that's what is missing in most that I've seen.  Some have the sheen more like the under side of leather, and not the tanned side.  Not even like satin paint, but flat.  

They just SCREAM to be polished up.  I guess I just don't like antiqued instruments.  Maybe if you actually had one to copy; that looked cool, and had interesting varnish, it could look good.

I am cleaning my area up again.  I've been organizing, and that takes so much time.