Sign in to follow this  
Nick Allen

Nick Allen's Bench.

10 minutes ago, Evan Smith said:

Looks real nice there,,makes me want to go to work.

Thanks Evan. You should. Violin making is the elixer of life. 

But I think that maybe I should bring the bar down a little bit. It's at 13mm, and the arch is 16mm. I've heard that higher arches tend to be intrinsically more stable, and require a lower profile bass bar to complement. 

Okay so I've been very busy lately. School, full time job, and part time at the violin shop. So I haven't had a ton of time to devote to my own lutherie. But I've completed a corpus, and I have three scrolls here that I could possibly put on the body I have. 

IMG_20190314_222512.jpg

IMG_20190314_222522.jpg

IMG_20190314_222808.jpg

So that cello is a J.B. Vuillaume cello. It's kind of massive. 764mm back. Lower bouts are around 750 I think. Would it make sense to downsize it?

I'm looking forward to watching your build Nick.  Mine is still a couple of years off.  In another thread I asked about player preferences and was told 740-750 mm LOB is today's norm.

Jackson, from the Strad site: " It is a rare copy of an early Stradivari of large size, and the form corresponds closely with that of the ‘Cristiani’, ‘Stauffer’ Stradivari of 1700. "

4 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

I'm looking forward to watching your build Nick.  Mine is still a couple of years off.  In another thread I asked about player preferences and was told 740-750 mm LOB is today's norm.

Jackson, from the Strad site: " It is a rare copy of an early Stradivari of large size, and the form corresponds closely with that of the ‘Cristiani’, ‘Stauffer’ Stradivari of 1700. "

I'm looking forward to the build! I decided to just jump into it and see what happens. What's the worst that can happen? I guess the worst that could happen is a wolf tone so bad that my family has no other option but to disown me. 

I meant to say 450 for the lower bouts. Not 750. I wonder what a circle cello would sound like? Probably a lot like a cello. 

6 hours ago, JacksonMaberry said:

A - the Scarface ref made me chuckle

B - what sort of geometry is at work in that JBV cello / who was he copying? 

I think Jim is about right. It's a larger B form cello. I've read a little bit about it and legend has that it is very deep and sonorous. I suppose that it was J.B.V's attempt art attenuating the nasaly sound that some cellos can have. 

Thanks to Jim for the info! 

I've had the pleasure to encounter two JBV cellos up close and personal, and I enjoyed them a lot. I'm not particularly enthusiastic about the violins, at least the three I've had in hand. 

So do you think you'll do it as is, or scale it down? I'd be inclined to go to the original geometry of the B form. Why copy a copyist?

On 3/15/2019 at 9:11 PM, JacksonMaberry said:

Thanks to Jim for the info! 

I've had the pleasure to encounter two JBV cellos up close and personal, and I enjoyed them a lot. I'm not particularly enthusiastic about the violins, at least the three I've had in hand. 

So do you think you'll do it as is, or scale it down? I'd be inclined to go to the original geometry of the B form. Why copy a copyist?

I think I might just go for it. Why not, ya know? It's still a cello. I think it'll still be okay with standard neck geometry, but I could be wrong. I'm working with a master violin maker now, so if I encounter any issues, I have a resource to go to. 

7 hours ago, Nick Allen said:

Also form drawing. I'm taking a drafting class and it's really helping with this kind of stuff!

IMG_20190317_231900.jpg

I like drawing forms.  For some reason I don't really see what's there until my hands draw it.

1991767571_Estensemould2.thumb.JPG.b22345a6fbce64e08679cc53c1c194ce.JPG

11 hours ago, Nick Allen said:

Also form drawing. I'm taking a drafting class and it's really helping with this kind of stuff!

IMG_20190317_231900.jpg

That's the Denis method, correct?  Looking good!

7 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

I like drawing forms.  For some reason I don't really see what's there until my hands draw it.

1991767571_Estensemould2.thumb.JPG.b22345a6fbce64e08679cc53c1c194ce.JPG

Looks nice and clean. Did you reproduce that digitally? I'm thinking about drawing up a form in AutoCAD. 

3 hours ago, Thomas Coleman said:

That's the Denis method, correct?  Looking good!

It is. The A. Guarneri alto viola. I might do one for the C. Vitale using the framework from it's measurements. 

1 hour ago, Nick Allen said:

Looks nice and clean. Did you reproduce that digitally? I'm thinking about drawing up a form in AutoCAD. 

My high tech tool is to the left of the paper.  It's just a tracing from the Estense G. Amati viola book.  I did make my Strad P form using Denis' method.