Nick Allen

Nick Allen's Bench.

Good advise Evan. I tend to take the approach of feathering the C bout rib nice and neat, then cut the upper/lower bout rib just to the feathered edge of the C. I have used the scraping method to correct an out-of-square miter before, works great. 

How do my corner blocks always end up so scooped? It seems like it's just an amateur thing to do, which is to make things a little over exaggerated/embellished when trying to do the "monkey see monkey do" way of learning. Your block looks nice and neat and classy.

Much better!

You didn't need my help after all,,,, Your stuff looks so nice I figured you better get the rib corners right,, now I see you did!

Evan Sometimes blind

Ha. Not blind. Just looking at crappy low res pictures. 

You may be right about the block grain direction. In a few decades it may wreak havoc and cause splitting/separation. Although Del Gesú never seemed to pay it any mind. 

No criticism at all, just trying to learn, why are the upper and lower ribs overlapping the center bout instead of coming to a point.  I have not made a violin so would like to know if that is possible?

They are supposed to overlap like that. If they came to a point then it would produce a very weak and not very attractive joint at the point that would separate almost immediately. 

Very nice work Nick! ...just one thing I noticed are the upper blocks seem narrow. I would make the upper block openings on the form a little wider. And you have made how many fiddles?

1 minute ago, lpr5184 said:

Very nice work Nick! ...just one thing I noticed are the upper blocks seem narrow. I would make the upper block openings on the form a little wider. And you have made how many fiddles?

Thank you. That's high praise. 

I noticed that the upper block is a little narrow just about an hour ago myself. I think it's 58 mm. The form is made after Addie's Strad CV form tracing. But I suppose something in the ballpark of 62 mm would be more appropriate. 

I've made 2 violins so far. Just waiting to varnish the second one. 

4 hours ago, Nick Allen said:

Hmm. The peg placement looks off. I suppose I should compensate for the floor thickness?

You might find this helpful.  The drawing is by Matt Noykos.

5a82deafba9ed_pegscematic.thumb.jpg.891a45e2f9903f57bcb62f2722cb55d7.jpg

17 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

You might find this helpful.  The drawing is by Matt Noykos.

5a82deafba9ed_pegscematic.thumb.jpg.891a45e2f9903f57bcb62f2722cb55d7.jpg

It would seem that this method would put the holes far too low on my pegbox templates. 

15185898378965179377678482002407.jpg