Nick Allen

Nick Allen's Bench.

Can anyone say "A buncha wasted time" ten times fast? 

Was reading the section in the Johnson-Courtnall book on saddles. It says "9mm from either side of the center of the saddle". That's the measurement for the flat part at the top. 18mm. 9+9. 

I made it 9 total. 

IMG_20180129_153309.jpg

Just gotta wait for the glue to completely dry and knock it out and start over lol. 

In better news, the heel is almost done. So there's that....

IMG_20180129_153556.jpg

Not wasted time on the saddle! Now you have practice on forming it - you will be more confident making the next one. AND - i’ll bet you a bucket of maple shavings that you will remember the measurements for a saddle for the rest of your life. :)

The fiddle is looking really good! I like the ffs. Is it an early del Gesu pattern that you are using? I like the shape a lot. On your bridge maybe try being not so aggressive on cutting the heart and kidneys. Better to go smaller initially then open them up if you need to latter on. 

Thanks Mike. It is based on a Del Gesú. It's supposed to be inspired by the Plowden. I think you're right about the aggressive cuts. Limits my options. 

On 2/3/2018 at 3:40 AM, Evan Smith said:

Looks very nice!

Way better than my #2,,,

Evan slow

Thanks Evan. I have to admit that it's my #2.5. I gave up half way through my actual first attempt. I really enjoy your antiquing work. I wish that some day I'll be as good as you at that. 

Here's the viola taking shape. I fell into the same pitfall that's many do once or twice and shaped the corner blocks fully before getting the C bout ribs in. 

IMG_20180206_112353.jpg

But, I think I can work with it. If you take a look at Michael Darnton's blog about making a viola, you can see that he does the same thing. I'm well aware that he has his own reasons for his methods, and probably has experience with this process, but I figure I'd keep pressing on anyways and see what happens. 

Man, you guys and your neat work.  I mean really.  I noticed your ribs looked like poplar, and read back and see that they are.  I did one viola with diagonally cut rib stock and they were the absolute best for bending that there ever was.  Absolutely no problem at all.  I can't imagine that you lose any strength.  I'm guessing that it is a cosmetic thing?  I'm going to cut corner blocks today.  I'll probably cut out the whole corner.  To me it seems like the best way.  You get the block the way you want, and glue the ribs on.  The rib will be just as easy to trim as if you left the back side big.  Besides that, if you cut the back sides first, you don't have the ribs in the way.  The blocks can sit right on the bench while you trim them. But I see you have the ribs cut right to width.  How do you do that?  Mine never bend completely parallel, the corner radii cock them slightly.

Nice work.

Ken, be careful cutting the whole block like nick did, it is more difficult than it appears. The ribs have to be bent perfectly and fully and perfectly straight or it will distort the tip of the block,I never say something can't be done, there are those that can do anything, it's all in the details,,,, and others not. In most cases it is easier to cut one side at a time.                                                 It is more tedious to do both at once, but  can be done obviously.

Evan careful.

On 2/6/2018 at 9:36 AM, Nick Allen said:

Thanks Evan. I have to admit that it's my #2.5. I gave up half way through my actual first attempt. I really enjoy your antiquing work. I wish that some day I'll be as good as you at that. 

Your stuff looks so nice,, you really want to mess it all up?

Thank you for the compliment, I'm glad that you enjoy it.

15 hours ago, Ken_N said:

Man, you guys and your neat work.  I mean really.  I noticed your ribs looked like poplar, and read back and see that they are.  I did one viola with diagonally cut rib stock and they were the absolute best for bending that there ever was.  Absolutely no problem at all.  I can't imagine that you lose any strength.  I'm guessing that it is a cosmetic thing?  I'm going to cut corner blocks today.  I'll probably cut out the whole corner.  To me it seems like the best way.  You get the block the way you want, and glue the ribs on.  The rib will be just as easy to trim as if you left the back side big.  Besides that, if you cut the back sides first, you don't have the ribs in the way.  The blocks can sit right on the bench while you trim them. But I see you have the ribs cut right to width.  How do you do that?  Mine never bend completely parallel, the corner radii cock them slightly.

Nice work.

Thanks Ken. As for gluing the ribs nice and parallel, I have the blocks and form sitting on a flat melamine board, and I just make sure that I bend them straight enough, and then when I go to glue them on I slide them into place so that they sit right flat with the melamine with the blocks. 

Time for some linings. I turn these cheap spruce(?) yardsticks ($0.50 each) into linings! I'm not entirely sure if they're spruce actually, but I don't really care because they bend just fine and are cheap. 

IMG_20180209_005748.jpg

IMG_20180209_005806.jpg

IMG_20180209_005824.jpg