chungviolins

Swedish scroll gouge set

Hello

Any one has used Swedish scroll gouge set (from Dictum tools)?

On it's web site it doesn't say sizes or sweeps, any one knows exactly what they are?

https://www.dictum.com/en/musical-instrument-making/special-tools-for-musical-instruments/scroll-gouges/701554/swedish-scroll-gouges-14-piece-set

Also I'd like to know about quality of the steel.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Koo Young Chung

I have had the whole set for years , i think they were 699 euros when i bought mine. They were made by Swedish blacksmith Hans Karlsson (dont know if they still are).

Ive found them very nice and actually find i use most of them regularly. Steel is good quality and i rarely sharpen them.

http://www.klensmide.se/

He gives the sweeps on his site.

I think they  also work out cheaper buying direct.

fiddlecollector,

Thank you for your post.

Can you tell me the sizes and sweeps of each gouge?

Are they all gouges, or some mortise chisel or boring tool included?

I'd greatly appreciate...

KYC

Details of sweeps are on his site above. mine had 13 outside gauges and one inside gouge for the corner blocks. One of the 13 outside gouges is also 27 sweep but narrow,its the bottom one.

heres mine:

P1350875.JPG

46 minutes ago, chungviolins said:

Thank you Thomas, Davide

What other brands available now? 

GEWA sells scroll gouge set?

I bought this Stubai set in 2012.  A little cheaper then, but not much.  Bevels were only rough ground.  If you don't have a wet grinder (and they still come that way) you have a lot of work ahead of you.  The steal is thin compared to other gouges I've handled.  I like this feature.  My set takes a fine edge and holds it well.  Not making cellos, I put long handles on the two largest gouges and use them as roughing gouges.  I find myself using all the gouges in the set, although I could certainly get away with skipping a few gouges that have a very similar sweeps to other gouges in the set.

http://www.woodcarverswarehouse.com/_e/Violin_Tools/product/violinsSet/Stubai_Violin_Scroll_Set_13pc.htm

-Jim

Hi, I bought an entire set of these gouges plus a few extra about seven years ago, and they have served me very well.   I the smith who makes them is very knowledgeable and the gouges hold their edge very well.   I plan on reordering a few extra gouges of particular sweeps that I use all the time.

I`d like to add (dont know about Kelvin) that despite being called scroll gouges , i use them on the entire instrument apart from a large stubai roughing out  gouge i use with a long homemade handle. So calling them strictly scroll gouges are a tiny bit of a misnomer.

Ive always found the short handles that fit comfortably in the palm far easier to use for fluting edges etc....

1 hour ago, fiddlecollector said:

I`d like to add (dont know about Kelvin) that despite being called scroll gouges , i use them on the entire instrument apart from a large stubai roughing out  gouge i use with a long homemade handle. So calling them strictly scroll gouges are a tiny bit of a misnomer.

Ive always found the short handles that fit comfortably in the palm far easier to use for fluting edges etc....

Do you use the big ones (27, 31) very much?

I don't own any Swedish gouges and at that price I won't be getting any. That's nearly $1300.00 American currency, plus shipping. If they are just for scroll carving,  why so many?  You wont use but a precious few to carve a scroll. That's nearly $92.00 a gouge and you don't need ten of them. Professional builders who make all three or four type string instruments may use several of these,  but I wonder about that.  You can get great old cast steel English gouges for a fraction of that cost, and re-handle them. There is nothing to re-handling a gouge. Also ask yourself what the re-sale value would be, you would be lucky to get $40.00 a gouge out of them. I'm not trying to be a hard ass here, I just think because they are in a set they shouldn't be that expensive. 

If you bought direct from sweden 14 gouges would be around 800$ US and being in the US you wouldnt be charged VAT.

Its all a matter of personal choice. some people  pay  a fortune for a holtey plane up to around 10k, i use a chinese plane and a lie neilsen block plane.

Also in Europe we pay more for almost everything from tools to power ,unlike US citizens who expect everything at low prices.

Hi Berl,   I guess I like the quality of the gouges and I make enough instruments that pretty much all of them see use, though I only use five or six on a given scroll.   I also had him make me some fishtail gouges.   I really don't care what the resale value will be because I will be dead. 

I use three gouges. A near flat sweep wide Addis for the first turn on the side, a smaller Pfeil (#8?) for basically all of the fluting, and a tight #11 Pfeil for the comma area. Probably less than $100 for my scroll tools. 

I bought 19 Japanese scroll gouges when i sold my first cello in 1986. They cost a fortune, and although I have never regretted it, there are several of the larger ones that I've never used. 

I have to make a violin away from home next year, so I have to decide what tools I need to bring. I just started a new violin, and I'm putting everything I use aside. It's amazing how few tools are needed to make a violin.

As an option for those on a budget, I found the list of gouge sweeps and sizes that Davide Sora uses (it's here on this forum in PDF) and bought the seven that I thought I needed most. They are Mastercarver brand, made in China of some pretty gnarly hard steel, and cost me $20/gouge. They are not gorgeous, but they work very well and hold a keen edge for quite some time. 

13 hours ago, JacksonMaberry said:

As an option for those on a budget, I found the list of gouge sweeps and sizes that Davide Sora uses (it's here on this forum in PDF) and bought the seven that I thought I needed most. They are Mastercarver brand, made in China of some pretty gnarly hard steel, and cost me $20/gouge. They are not gorgeous, but they work very well and hold a keen edge for quite some time. 

I bought the fishtail versions. Good steel (I think?). Pretty cheap too. They'll do the job. 

The gouges aren't sold in sweeps like most, Hans Karlsson gouges are all measured by their diameters which makes infinitely more sense. This allows you to match the radius of channels on arching profiles. It is much cheaper to buy directly from the family than through another company but there is a minimum for the order size. the steel is awesome and the inside radius swoops up so that when you hone the inside you only hit the tip which saves your slip stones and makes sharpening a breeze. I have both their scroll gouges and regular, the only major difference is the handles, I prefer the regular, they allow one handed or easier two handed operation if you put your work in a vise. I only bought a couple at 40mm, 25mm, 15mm and 8mm but they raised the minimum order limit after I purchased mine so you will need to buy more.