Sign in to follow this  
Battilay

Violin scroll: a mysterious symbol

1 hour ago, Double U said:

Have you had a tought about the fact that could be a "phisical" signature of some maker?

As Jacob said simply an aid in installing  the A string . Some times done by the maker, sometimes by repairmen at the request of clumsy customers. I think there may have been some schools of makers who did this more routinely than others and if any one knows about that I'd be interested to know more.

2 hours ago, Double U said:

Have you had a tought about the fact that could be a "phisical" signature of some maker?

Not since I learned better from Jacob.  :)

6 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

no it isn't. Such holes in the back of the peg box are to make it eaier to thread on the A string 

Ah that makes sence .. though it seems a bit drastic

I see nothing drastic about it. It is a regular feature of 18th C. violins from Prague, Regensburg, Lower Bavaria, and an occasional feature of 18th C violins from elsewhere. Others in the Austrian/S. German area, made the A peg up to a centimetre away from the top end of the peg box (aping Stainer), which also facilitates threading on a new A string

The "drastic" disadvantage can be that it weakens the pegbox till breakage (pic 1). Many of them I've found closed later (pic 2), perhaps for this reason?

22.08.2010 20-40-51_0122.jpg

IMG_6827.JPG