Maestronet Forums

A 200 year old Cornerless Cello signed by Chanot

GeorgeH

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

Was that caused by a fishing bat, or a flying fish?   Since we're obviously already talking a cryptozooid. did you get photos?  [Wonders if this would be an X-File, or Special Circumstances.]  :huh::lol:

Me and my typos!

I’m glad I’m not the guy in charge of the bomb…

”OH! I thought you said turn it ON! My bad!”

M. Boucher? I'm trying to locate my Father's side of my family tree.

My Dad was Kenneth Walker, his line goes back to John Walker (whiskey brewer) his mother's side is very complicated, but Boucher, hmm. If you have any info please on this person who tested out the Strad and Chanot, who was he?

I've still got that guitar shaped violin. Inside it's flly lined, and very well carved with a typical deep bass bar which has been sprung slightly.

I got it from a woman in America, can't remember what area or State, but way out on a v old farmstead. Her family came from the first pilgrims and she said that it came over with her lot in late 1700s. The rib linings look v Stradivari construction shape and wood. The F holes look not. I repaired the F hole as it suffered mouse chewing damage.

I need to open it up again as the baroque through block neck root has bloody well come loose so I will get the top off and take a few pics next week.

3 hours ago, Kev Chanot said:

"Bass Bat" --Do you use it for some kind of ball game??????

I'd make a lame joke about what you do to a bass with it, but I like the bass.

@baroquecello The instrument hasn't had as good a workout as I'd hoped, partly because we've been super busy, and partly because it needs a little work. The most basic issue is just finding strings that work well. It had ancient Spirocores and Helicores on it, which were not a good fit, even if they weren't worn out, I think. We thought maybe something lower tension (Dominants) would work, but the A vibrates enough to buzz. The treble side bridge food has sunk into the top a bit, so its lost a mm of clearance.

Then there's the worrisome crack on the bass side. It seems to originate at the edge of the top, and runs obliquely, so hopefully it's not related to the bass bar. But it certainly seems to be in danger of becoming one.

I can probably con my son into recording it if you're interested. Even with these issues, I think it sounds good - very resonant. Surprisingly, it seems stronger in the bass register, even though to the eye the body looks small.

On 12/4/2017 at 3:46 AM, Kev Chanot said:

Hi Tom,

Yes, the man in question was my great  great  grandfather. Incidentally, it would appear that it was an attempt by a self righteous violin business to discredit serious competition.

They failed, and I am glad.

I like to think that your great, great grandfather created me, so , fail they did!

I absolutely would never have started building instruments unless I saw his work. For most it has been the great Italians, but for me , it has always been Chanot that was my inspiration. To dare to be different. 

2 hours ago, morgana said:

If you have any info please on this person who tested out the Strad and Chanot, who was he?

I believe that refers to Alexandre Boucher, as in the Fein Violins post here. Presumably that's this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandre_Boucher

2 hours ago, morgana said:

I need to open it up again as the baroque through block neck root has bloody well come loose so I will get the top off and take a few pics next week.

Would love to see pictures. I'd be scared to death to take the top off - seems like it would be tricky to get it back on right. I think that happened to our Chanot violin at some point; the edges are very slightly misaligned, and there's a little twist to the body. Wish I had the requisite skill.

On 12/1/2017 at 8:59 PM, Tom Fid said:

And the cello ... More when I've recovered from the 4am wakeup for the flight. Mercifully everything went well with the cello in a seat on United.

PC010173.jpg

PC010180.jpg

PC010184.jpg

Perhaps if it's not to much trouble, some time you might post some close up shots of the edge work, I'd love to see a close up of a view looking at it from the side and then looking at it as shown{the back}, just close up of the edge...

7 hours ago, jezzupe said:

just close up of the edge...

Here you go: 

#657 is the top, showing also the ivory lining in the f-hole (c-hole?).

#659 is the back, showing what I assume to be repair work, where the original ebony has been replaced with stained something that is no longer as dark.

#660 is the same with ruler for scale. This and previous are from roughly a 45 degree angle, so you're seeing the back (lower left) and rib (upper right).

#661 is same location, but straight on from the back. It looks like the edge is built up of four strips: a thin ebony, thin ivory, thicker ebony, then a rounded ebony corner piece.

P1110657.jpg

P1110659.jpg

P1110660.jpg

P1110661.jpg

2 minutes ago, Tom Fid said:

Here you go: 

#657 is the top, showing also the ivory lining in the f-hole (c-hole?).

#659 is the back, showing what I assume to be repair work, where the original ebony has been replaced with stained something that is no longer as dark.

#660 is the same with ruler for scale. This and previous are from roughly a 45 degree angle, so you're seeing the back (lower left) and rib (upper right).

#661 is same location, but straight on from the back. It looks like the edge is built up of four strips: a thin ebony, thin ivory, thicker ebony, then a rounded ebony corner piece.

P1110657.jpg

P1110659.jpg

P1110660.jpg

P1110661.jpg

Dude!, thanks you are the man!

On 1/11/2019 at 5:39 PM, Tom Fid said:

You're most welcome. Are you building one?

Well at the moment no, but I have built some cornerless cellos in the past. I think I have some in my "other instruments" on my site.

I'm just a huge fan of Chanot, perhaps if nothing else.only because he dared to be different, and that well I suppose I feel I have a little Chanot in me based on myself being ....a little different :rolleyes:  people are always telling me how "special", "interesting" and "different" I am :lol:

Anyways, I had always been curious as to the edge detail, which I had not really seen up close before...Those shot are great because the show me everything I was curious about, and I must admit that it is done in a way that I did not think that it was, so again thanks....and "hmm very interesting" :)

2 minutes ago, Kev Chanot said:

Talking of global adventures, does anyone ever make enough money as a luthier to go on one ??

Oh that's so 1960's to late 90''s, austerity is all the rage these days, most luthiers idea of a vacation is being able to pay their rent and not have to go on that fun trip under the freeway overpass that they always didn't want to go on, :lol:

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:34 PM, Tom Fid said:

I believe that refers to Alexandre Boucher, as in the Fein Violins post here. Presumably that's this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandre_Boucher

Would love to see pictures. I'd be scared to death to take the top off - seems like it would be tricky to get it back on right. I think that happened to our Chanot violin at some point; the edges are very slightly misaligned, and there's a little twist to the body. Wish I had the requisite skill.

It's a hell of a job, and it is worse if some joker has nailed it on using iron nails, or wooden ones. I have had the top off this many years ago when I was just learning and could kick myself for not asking on here how to do a neck reset. If I had asked what to do, I would have not had to go through this again.

At least I wasn't a total tool, as in I glued it with hide glue, too strong a mix of hot hide glue, so it's preparation as in I will have to carefully melt the hide glue, using hot water with cotton buds and the fingerboard will need to come off first, which is also a fingerboard I made and also used hide glue on (no super glue as I have jokingly btw said I use)

Then I have a fold over saddle which has to come off too before taking the lid off. Then it will need, as it is a two piece back, which has opened, to be brought together once the neck is out, with a button patch, cleats, a topblock made, shaped and morticed with an extension to keep the top plate uncut, rather than cut into so added wood to the back of the neck root using the old block's wood, then put it all back together re glue the fingerboard and nut, bish bosh job's a goodn....then a good rest in a nursing home! Lol!

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 10:19 AM, jezzupe said:

Oh that's so 1960's to late 90''s, austerity is all the rage these days, most luthiers idea of a vacation is being able to pay their rent and not have to go on that fun trip under the freeway overpass that they always didn't want to go on, :lol:

It's all restoration now, by the looks of things. People still want a fully handmade violin in England made by an English maker. As long as the maker sticks to the Cremona style and keeps the price lower than a few thousand quid....unbelievable! Oh and everyone here knows how many hours are put in to do a decent job. V sadly it's at least 6 months for me and 2000 quid minus strings, etc is about 35p an hour.

Horrible to face that fact. Just cannot live on that.