• Announcements

• john

Read the rules at the top of this page before posting.   12/30/16

The rules are copied here for your convenience: The Auction Scroll is for sharing opinions on instruments listed and offered for sale online on this site or any other. It is for the civil exchange of ideas and opinions about the instruments themselves. The opinions expressed are solely those of the poster, and do not represent the opinion of Maestronet or its forum moderators. Personal attacks on individuals will not be tolerated and will result in banning from participation in the forums. For example you are free to state that in your opinion a certain instrument labelled such and such is or is not authentic. You can also support your opinion with facts as you see them, as long as you make no reference to the individual or company listing the instrument or use hearsay in your argument. You cannot say for example that such and such an instrument is not authentic because you know the individual listing the instrument is not trustworthy or you believe the company routinely uses false descriptions of its instruments. That will get you banned. Similarly, you can defend the authenticity of an instrument with the facts as you see them, as long as personal attacks and hearsay are not used. For example, you could refer to the shape of the f holes in support of a certain origin, but what you cannot do is attack any individuals that may hold a different opinion. This is a unique forum, so please abide by these rules to ensure it continues in its current form.
Sign in to follow this  
fiddlecollector

Anyone else think the art world has gone mad

12 minutes ago, La Folia said:

Yes, indeed.  That one is spectacular.  This one -- well, maybe I just don't understand art.  Maybe it's not what it once was.

Or maybe you understand art, and the winning bidder didn't. :)

7 hours ago, deans said:

Vanity for sure, but being gullible is not a trait that allows you to amass this kind of money.

I'm not sure what any vanity has to do with it; last I heard, the buyer is yet to come forward.
And anyway, why disparage a man's spending his own money?

A decade or more ago, a Japanese businessman spent $250 mil. on a Monet, and was said to store it in a warehouse.   I don't recall any animosity in his direction.

On another topic altogether: who really gives a damn if it's entirely 100% "by the hand of" da Vinci, anyway?  Would you discount the value of a Strad if you knew one of his sons might have done the purfiling?

I think some of you are simply setting up roadblocks because you're excessively judgemental and suspicious.

(now excuse me while I mix another post-concert drink)

2 hours ago, AtlVcl said:

I'm not sure what any vanity has to do with it; last I heard, the buyer is yet to come forward.

A decade or more ago, a Japanese businessman spent $250 mil. on a Monet, and was said to store it in a warehouse.   I don't recall any animosity in his direction.

On another topic altogether: who really gives a damn if it's entirely 100% "by the hand of" da Vinci, anyway?  Would you discount the value of a Strad if you knew one of his sons might have done the purfiling?

I think some of you are simply setting up roadblocks because you're excessively judgemental and suspicious.

(now excuse me while I mix another post-concert drink)

1.  I'm sure that the little circle whose adoration they covet has heard all about it by now.

2.  Why not?  Maybe he'll post here and set off a riot, and we'll all munch lots of popcorn,

3.  This is the first time I heard about it.........

4.  Not really, but I would use it as a haggling point.

5.  No, because no violin is involved, nobody's envious enough to have gotten excessive yet.

6.  Ciao!  :lol:

8 hours ago, AtlVcl said:

Why not? 

In a world where 1% of the population owns 50.1% of the world's wealth while the bottom 50% own less than 1%, I am happy to point out the irony of spending almost one-half a billion dollars for a painting of Jesus.

It isn't just the art world that has gone mad.

52 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

Why not? 

In a world where 1% of the population owns 50.1% of the world's wealth while the bottom 50% own less than 1%, I am happy to point out the irony of spending almost one-half a billion dollars for a painting of Jesus.

It isn't just the art world that has gone mad.

But if I could just touch the hem of his (very fine) garment.

3 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

Why not? 

If you think all would be copacetic if only there weren't "the rich" and the poor, I invite you to change it on your own dime.  It's still his money to spend as he wishes, and if you don't approve, that's probably just one more reason to do so.  I bet you wouldn't be so judgemental if he spent it on a $20mil. Strad.

this is the Mona Lisa:

Image result for da vinci mona

and this the Salvator Mundi for comparison:

Image result for da vinci salvator

Sorry but I don't like the latter. They have messed with the eyes and the nose too much to begin with.

Some one called it "flat" and that describes it well.

Well...He is kinda fuzzy...but that's okay I think.  It's not like we have a clear recollection of what He looked like to begin with....^_^

1 hour ago, hendrik said:

this is the Mona Lisa:

Image result for da vinci mona

and this the Salvator Mundi for comparison:

Image result for da vinci salvator

Sorry but I don't like the latter. They have messed with the eyes and the nose too much to begin with.

Some one called it "flat" and that describes it well.

I really don't imagine Jesus with a perm, a tint job, and a peachfuzz beard.  :rolleyes:

I see Him more like this:

image.png.86b0887b1abb6bf5f4753e63da11f7f1.png

No...I always assumed He would be short, with curly black hair and maybe a little on the heavy side, if He had enough food to eat.  He might have been underweight when wandering the desert...

For comparison, here is the unquestioned Leonardo Jesus from "The Last Supper":

DaVinciJesus.jpg.a2fbc8a0b7a4441a290d334b6b5a37b0.jpg

Maybe He looked like one of these guys....just shorter...

This picture is a little more detailed:

Mundi_framed.jpg

==
It looks better on this photo.
The restorer(s) chose to keep the face very fuzzy .
Smart choice as it would be impossible to make a passible go 
at a clearer more Mona Lisa like version.

Indeed it doesn't look like the Mona Lisa - or any other of Da Vinci's major portraits - at all in style and execution.

1 hour ago, Rue said:

Maybe He looked like one of these guys....just shorter...

Maybe this. Also based on the Shroud of Turin. :)

Buddy_christ.jpg.084eeb8c98cefc803889f3df15925fae.jpg

2 hours ago, Rue said:

No...I always assumed He would be short, with curly black hair and maybe a little on the heavy side, if He had enough food to eat.  He might have been underweight when wandering the desert...

And his skin color would most likely not be so fair and white...

2 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

Maybe this. Also based on the Shroud of Turin. :)

Buddy_christ.jpg.084eeb8c98cefc803889f3df15925fae.jpg

[Resists the temptation to use her rosary as a kusarigama :ph34r: ] My, isn't that special?  I sorta doubt that particular image figures here. :rolleyes:

On 11/17/2017 at 9:08 AM, Ben Hebbert said:

...... the MacDonald is now back down to being a tenth of the price

Oh, for a moment Ben I thought I read it was now available for $4.5 M.....:o

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

Oh, for a moment Ben I thought I read it was now available for $4.5 M.....:o

shucks, eh... we should have bought it when they were asking that much 20 years ago!

Well, we now know who bought it.  A Saudi prince, Bader bin Abdullah bin Mohammed bin Farhan al-Saud.