Matchu

Good Cello Makers

I am a intermediate high school cello player and my first cello just wont cut it anymore, it's made of plywood and a maple fingerboard. I need a full size cello and bow for under $5,000 that is decent for a intermediate to advanced player. Also I live in Fort Worth Texas and so I need to find a good store or workshop around here to get it from. Thanks for all the help!

Edited by Matchu

I have a German cello in beautiful condition that would be a big step up for you but it needs setup work, and that would cost. I posted about it some time ago. 

Five thousand isn't much for a cello, but this one was bequeathed to a bar owner who used it as a wall hanger for a few months. It is in amazing condition, that said. Old, lovely, really lovely, just needs work. 

Look around and I am sure you will find what you are looking for. If you are still looking in a month PM me. We are figuring out what to do with the cello within a couple weeks, but no hurry. I don't think it would come with setup done, so the price would reflect that. Less than five thousand, for sure.

You can likely find similar deals closer to your area. Dwight? Any ideas?

In the price range that you specify it will be difficult to beat a well set-up, better quality, Chinese instrument, in both tone and appearance. If you choose to purchase it online, expect a grand of work by your local violin maker to make it fulfill the "well set-up" part of my statement.

With a budget of 5K for both cello and bow, you will be hard pressed to find something that is not a factory instrument or that will need some work.  They are out there it just takes time and patience as you look around. Both Julian and Not Telling might be able to help you out.  Both are good people.  Good Luck.

1 hour ago, Alex l. Reza said:

With a budget of 5K for both cello and bow, you will be hard pressed to find something that is not a factory instrument or that will need some work.  They are out there it just takes time and patience as you look around. Both Julian and Not Telling might be able to help you out.  Both are good people.  Good Luck.

I found a good cello from Eastman strings, the VC 405 for under 5k.

Is Eastman a good brand?

3 hours ago, not telling said:

I have a German cello in beautiful condition that would be a big step up for you but it needs setup work, and that would cost. I posted about it some time ago. 

Five thousand isn't much for a cello, but this one was bequeathed to a bar owner who used it as a wall hanger for a few months. It is in amazing condition, that said. Old, lovely, really lovely, just needs work. 

Look around and I am sure you will find what you are looking for. If you are still looking in a month PM me. We are figuring out what to do with the cello within a couple weeks, but no hurry. I don't think it would come with setup done, so the price would reflect that. Less than five thousand, for sure.

You can likely find similar deals closer to your area. Dwight? Any ideas?

How much would it cost to buy it and set it up better?