Sign in to follow this  
Berl Mendenhall

Joe's Varnish

Jeffery I hope I'm not over stepping my bounds  here.

Just got back from VSA convention in DC. Joe Robson had, as always, a booth in the venders room.  He had a few examples of his oil varnish on display.  One was a red oil that I thought was as nice as anything I've seen. I have no connection with Joe, except a casual acquaintance at these conventions. I've never taken one of his workshops, so this is not a plug to sell his varnish. It is a plug to say, it is beautiful stuff. I personally don't use oil right now, but I am going to try this stuff.   If you have any questions as to what it is, well those will have to be answered by Joe, I'm just saying, it was as nice as any I've seen. 

I talked to Joe for quite a while. Really nice guy and really helpful and informative. Bought some stuff from him. Waiting on the Diamond G turpentine to arrive to get on with using it. Excited to see how it turns out lol. 

Berl, are talking about the viola hanging in the center position?  All 3 were nice (of course).  My taste went to the fiddle on the left.  Lightest of the three, but showed off the wood the best IMO.  Best varnish of the weekend, Carl Becker Jr's 2010 violin.  I've never seen a varnish give that much depth to the top wood before.  However Joe's varnish is available.  I have pictures, but I don't know if it's OK to show other peoples instruments without their permission.  

Wish we had a chance to chat more than just a hand shake.  Maybe next time.

Nick, I guess we just didn't recognize each other.  I never saw a fiddle walking around and you probably didn't notice a black bear in the hotel.  :D

Cheers,

Jim

39 minutes ago, Jim Bress said:

Berl, are talking about the viola hanging in the center position?  All 3 were nice (of course).  My taste went to the fiddle on the left.  Lightest of the three, but showed off the wood the best IMO.  Best varnish of the weekend, Carl Becker Jr's 2010 violin.  I've never seen a varnish give that much depth to the top wood before.  However Joe's varnish is available.  I have pictures, but I don't know if it's OK to show other peoples instruments without their permission.  

Nick, I guess we just didn't recognize each other.  I never saw a fiddle walking around and you probably didn't notice a black bear in the hotel.  :D

Cheers,

Jim

Lol it seems so. Another time I suppose. 

As far as pictures, I think that they would fall under fair use. But don't quote me on that. 

We agree, Berl. Joe is on to the right color source, namely cochineal. It produces the color I like. I also think cochineal is historically correct for Cremonese colors. 

Someday, when I build my first violin I will purchase the varnish from Joe. It does sound intriguing to cook varnish but sounds a bit dangerous to go through the process for me.

3 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

Cheers,

Jim

Jim, how did we not get together? I wish you could have come up to our room so I could have shown you some of my stuff and I would have introduced you to my fiddle friends. If you went to the open mike they had, Tyler ( one of the three guys from Nashville) played one of my fiddles. Actually that fiddle went to a dealer in Nashville.

1 hour ago, Berl Mendenhall said:

Jim, how did we not get together? I wish you could have come up to our room so I could have shown you some of my stuff and I would have introduced you to my fiddle friends. If you went to the open mike they had, Tyler ( one of the three guys from Nashville) played one of my fiddles. Actually that fiddle went to a dealer in Nashville.

That would have been nice. I had my #2 with me as well.  

Open mic was a blast. The Nashville trio were great and some of the singers were out of this world.  

I was actually standing right behind you the whole time. That’s where I introduced myself to you, but a lot was going on at the time. 

...next time. 

-Jim 

24 minutes ago, Jim Bress said:

That would have been nice. I had my #2 with me as well.  

Open mic was a blast. The Nashville trio were great and some of the singers were out of this world.  

I was actually standing right behind you the whole time. That’s where I introduced myself to you, but a lot was going on at the time. 

...next time. 

-Jim 

My hearing is not the best and it was loud in there. Sorry I didn't get who you actually were Jim. I would have liked for you to have seen the fiddle Tyler was playing. It was my own model  experimental ( I talked about it here on MN ). It has turned out to be a fantastic instrument. I am so happy it went where it did. My hope is a good player will buy it from Fred and play the hell out of it. It is already very good and will only get better once a player learns how to handle it.

Sorry for going on and on about my own stuff. Still excited about the trip.

5 hours ago, Michael_Molnar said:

We agree, Berl. Joe is on to the right color source, namely cochineal. It produces the color I like. I also think cochineal is historically correct for Cremonese colors. 

Correct Mike.  The color comes from cochineal and complies with the scientific research done by Brigitte Brandmair and JP Echard.

Joe