• Announcements

• john

Read the rules at the top of this page before posting.   12/30/16

The rules are copied here for your convenience: The Auction Scroll is for sharing opinions on instruments listed and offered for sale online on this site or any other. It is for the civil exchange of ideas and opinions about the instruments themselves. The opinions expressed are solely those of the poster, and do not represent the opinion of Maestronet or its forum moderators. Personal attacks on individuals will not be tolerated and will result in banning from participation in the forums. For example you are free to state that in your opinion a certain instrument labelled such and such is or is not authentic. You can also support your opinion with facts as you see them, as long as you make no reference to the individual or company listing the instrument or use hearsay in your argument. You cannot say for example that such and such an instrument is not authentic because you know the individual listing the instrument is not trustworthy or you believe the company routinely uses false descriptions of its instruments. That will get you banned. Similarly, you can defend the authenticity of an instrument with the facts as you see them, as long as personal attacks and hearsay are not used. For example, you could refer to the shape of the f holes in support of a certain origin, but what you cannot do is attack any individuals that may hold a different opinion. This is a unique forum, so please abide by these rules to ensure it continues in its current form.
Dwight Brown

Lots of Books at T2

Looks like lots and lots of books and other paper stuff at the latest T2 auction.  Also interesting is a Guadanini Guitar.  Nothing in viola land is lighting my fire though.

DLB

11 minutes ago, Dwight Brown said:

Nothing in viola land is lighting my fire though.

What? That's crazy talk.

Lot 136 has my name all over it, but a back SPC and what looks like a funky neck/stop ratio makes me wonder if I need another money pit.

I also like 140, on its second time around, fits into both speculative and restorable, wonder what its story is.

I sort of like 137 too, if the price stays low.

I noticed a lot of three with a very low estimated price  that includes the Guadagnini book by Doring.  I recall that book being quite valuable at one time, but in truth I don't think books bring the prices they used to,  with all the pictures and information on the internet these days.  

50 minutes ago, lawrence furse said:

I noticed a lot of three with a very low estimated price  that includes the Guadagnini book by Doring.  I recall that book being quite valuable at one time, but in truth I don't think books bring the prices they used to,  with all the pictures and information on the internet these days.  

There may be a Dover edition of Doring now, Lawrence.  I'm not where I could double check my library, but I know I have a copy of Doring and I don't think I paid much for it.

10 minutes ago, Julian Cossmann Cooke said:

There may be a Dover edition of Doring now, Lawrence.  I'm not where I could double check my library, but I know I have a copy of Doring and I don't think I paid much for it.

I have the Bein and Fushi reprint. I think that printing put a dent in the price of the orig. 

The Guadagnini book on Tarisio looks like an original hardback edition, though I just did glance at the cover.  Another violin maker checked it out from the U of U library in the early 70's and moved before he could return it.  .  So I was given the job.  I did-but after reading and rereading quite a few times.  I did a price check on  that book  before I returned it -and  was astounded to discover it was selling at some auctions for $500.      

By the time I got to the school in SLC, all of the violin books were gone from the public library there. I asked why they didn't have any, and they related many such stories of students at the school checking them out and never returning them becuase they were selling for so much on the open market.

I *believe* that my copy that I obtained in SLC, a photocopy, bound at Kinkos, is a photocopy of the library book that you describe.

The best Guad bang-for-your-buck is the Scrollaveza and Zanre Guad book. Much more useful to a violin maker than the Dorning book.

This thread incited me to drudge through the whole catalogue whilst watching the England v. Germany football match this evening.

I'm afraid I only had to take my eye off the ball twice. The first time was when I got to item #228 https://t2-auctions.com/auctions/lot/?csid=2198781952&cpid=3487039488&filter_key=80f98cc83f572785246237d6e52d7846

A VIOLIN, c. 1892 Labelled, "Louis Noebe, Kunst-Atelier, Bad Homburg., L.N. no 769, 1892., System Noebe, Schutzmarke." where I wondered if anyone knew what Nobe had patented. Noebe's patent was an „induction Bass Bar“, which is basically the same as a normal bass bar, except it has five square gaps cut out of it along the glue joint, supposing it is still in the instrument. Quite which wholesaler Noebe bought the basic fiddle from is something that one could speculate over.

The second time was #238: VIOLIN, c. 1885 Labelled, "Karl Kienol, Geigenmacher in Wien, https://t2-auctions.com/auctions/lot/?csid=2198781952&cpid=3483418624&filter_key=80f98cc83f572785246237d6e52d7846 where I wondered who on earth Kienol was. I swiftly realised that they meant Kiendl. There were two Kiendl's in Vienna, father and son, both called Karl. Every Kiendl violin I have ever seen, was either a better “Markneukirchener Ware” or (less often) a Mittenwald “Verleger”, so that is the quiz to answer. Sometimes, when I get dragged along to do a probate appraisal, one gets to see a Zither or a guitar with Kiendl labels in, so I presume that they were a general music shop. Still, never mind, T2 don't do certificates, do they?

The football match was pretty boring too, so I suppose tomorrow will be a new day (lets hope).

3 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

The football match was pretty boring too, so I suppose tomorrow will be a new day (lets hope).

ahh Jacob, you should be watching American football, that is not so boring I think!  :)

Actually I quite enjoy 'soccer' matches myself, but I couldn't resist giving you a poke! 

On 11/11/2017 at 3:19 AM, violinsRus said:

ahh Jacob, you should be watching American football, that is not so boring I think!  :)

European soccer lasts 2x 45 minutes. American football lasts three and a half hours with mostly guys crashing into each other.

37 minutes ago, Herman West said:

European soccer lasts 2x 45

minutes. American football lasts three and a half hours with mostly guys crashing into each other.

I think it is about the same length, just padded out with adverts:rolleyes: