Maestronet Forums

BassClef

11 hours ago, BassClef said:

The peg tip on the lower string peg of the OP instrument is similar in style to the ones on the violin you posted. Have you seen this style before? Is it indicative of any particular style?

Shows how much attention I pay to the pegs when admiring the scroll itself!  No, I haven't seen that kind of adornment -- or if I have, I didn't notice it.  ;)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, Julian Cossmann Cooke said:

Shows how much attention I pay to the pegs when admiring the scroll itself!  No, I haven't seen that kind of adornment -- or if I have, I didn't notice it.  ;)

They were more common at one time. But they had a tendency buzz, loosen and fall out, and get caught on long hair.

12 hours ago, BassClef said:

The peg tip on the lower string peg of the OP instrument is similar in style to the ones on the violin you posted. Have you seen this style before? Is it indicative of any particular style?

These kind of pegs were often used at better Mirecourt instruments of the ca. 1900 period, usually from rosewood.

Maybe the loss of 3 out of 4 is another antiquing feature?^_^

And how long needs a player's hair to be to get in touch with the pegs, or should be a storm from the back direction involved? Excessive headbanging? Headscratching with the scroll?:rolleyes:

16 hours ago, BassClef said:

I have a set of old violin pegs with this ornament.  There is a hole drilled in the end of the peg and the gold (or brass) piece is simply pushed into the hole.  That's why it also slips out, as the OP pegs demonstrate!  I don't know where this style originated.   

oops, I see BF gave you an origin above, missed that!  My pegs are ebony, not rosewood. 

Edited by violinsRus

On 11/3/2017 at 4:58 PM, BassClef said:

I've always seen the solid form of these peg "adornments" referred to as, "olives."

http://www.dov-music.com/proddetail.asp?prod=1904

Rat

18 hours ago, Blank face said:

And how long needs a player's hair to be to get in touch with the pegs, or should be a storm from the back direction involved? Excessive headbanging? Headscratching with the scroll?:rolleyes:

Not very long, when the violin is held vertically on the lap in "rest position". Or for a cellist.

Rest%20Position%20Sitting.jpg

16 hours ago, David Holbrook said:

i'll bite.  my immediate thought was Amati but I'll go with Andrea Guarneri as a guess.

thanks for the pictures.

You're welcome! Let's turn this up a notch. Here's a photo of the front. Good color images of this impossibly important instrument are not available online, this is a strait-to-maestronet bassclef exclusive.  ...probably the most important object I've ever held in my hands. Or am I exaggerating? What is this instrument?

IMG_0800-mystery-viola-bassclef-maestronet.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-11-05 at 3.25.07 PM.png

Is that "chevron" above the ff's what it appears to be?  upper bout wood is not book matched and, although close in places, doesn't match the grain in the mid body. Looks, from the photo like the belly has had some significant repair/replacement....... unless the original top billet was spliced before carving????

One of the challenges of violin identification is that in some situations such as being shown an instrument which is owned by a famous player or a reputable expert you can look at them thinking "what is this?" and in others you must look at it thinking "what is this supposed to be" then work out if it really is that as a separate issue. The scroll looks like your basic upscale classical Italian scroll with as Jacob points out some suspiciously repetitious damage and the Ff wings look sort of Ruggieri but there are some strange things that have happened to this fiddle. I'm putting my smug "I know everything" look on my face while waiting for some one else to stick their neck out.

Because the photos are showing a viola's scroll, so it's a (in an unusual way) reduced former tall viola of the Amati school, maybe with a replacement scroll?

Looking closer at the scroll, I'm getting somehow confused. One the one hand the scratches at the top are suspicious, like screwdriver made, but there are, OTOH, some real looking repairs at the treble side and the planed down walls at the nut.

That definitely looks like reduced instrument to my eyes. The grain pattern matches perfectly on all parts, but the upper bout top halves were reduced to taper at the centerline towards neck to make the upper bout less wide without changing the purfling, which created slight angle in grain and minor mismatch of grain lines at the joint. The short and deep looking  c-bouts seem to have tiny bit of change in curvature where the slpice ends.

What instrument would warrant such extensive work?

8 hours ago, HoGo said:

That definitely looks like reduced instrument to my eyes. The grain pattern matches perfectly on all parts, but the upper bout top halves were reduced to taper at the centerline towards neck to make the upper bout less wide without changing the purfling, which created slight angle in grain and minor mismatch of grain lines at the joint. The short and deep looking  c-bouts seem to have tiny bit of change in curvature where the slpice ends.

What instrument would warrant such extensive work?

Thanks!! That makes perfect sense to what I was observing.... I admit that I was unaware that "cutting-down" instruments, other than Cello, was a "regular?" practice.