Maestronet Forums

BassClef

What are your thoughts about this scroll that I photographed? I had a chance to grab a hold of this instrument and bang these out, I only had 30 seconds to work in a crowded area so the images are not perfect, sorry about that.  Register your thoughts about the object in these photos. Am I exaggerating or what?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always liked the narrowness at the "nape" of the neck holding up the head.  It gives a flow that is not present in some of the more muscular scrolls seen in the work of many of The Ancients.  The latter can end up looking more like the old White Sox player and TX native, No Neck Williams by comparison.  OK, so maybe a bit more graceful looking than No Neck.

Here's an example by the Bolognese, Guidantus, though his whole pegbox profile is pretty narrow.6473-1s.jpg.969f4ea5bc65c96967330e92f9c4d426.jpg

2 hours ago, David Burgess said:

Very nice scroll, aside from the shape suggesting that some material was shaved off the top of the pegbox, probably when resurfacing the fingerboard gluing surface with a plane.

So accidental or purposeful reshaping? Modern antiquing technique?

1 hour ago, Emilg said:

the longer you look at it, the nicer it gets ^_^

do you have front and back photos as well?

Again, pardon me for the focusing issues, this was a very quick and stealthy photo shoot, one that may or may not have been authorized.

What is this scroll?

IMG_0797-mystery-viola-scroll-bassclef-maestronet.jpg

IMG_0799-mystery-viola-scroll-bassclef-maestronet.jpg

3 hours ago, Julian Cossmann Cooke said:

I've always liked the narrowness at the "nape" of the neck holding up the head.  It gives a flow that is not present in some of the more muscular scrolls seen in the work of many of The Ancients.  The latter can end up looking more like the old White Sox player and TX native, No Neck Williams by comparison.  OK, so maybe a bit more graceful looking than No Neck.

Here's an example by the Bolognese, Guidantus, though his whole pegbox profile is pretty narrow.6473-1s.jpg.969f4ea5bc65c96967330e92f9c4d426.jpg

The peg tip on the lower string peg of the OP instrument is similar in style to the ones on the violin you posted. Have you seen this style before? Is it indicative of any particular style?

4 hours ago, BassClef said:

Please accept my deepest apologies, my liege. Attached, please find the missing images.

IMG_0796-mystery-viola-scroll-bassclef-maestronet-1.jpg

IMG_0794-mystery-viola-scroll-bassclef-maestronet-1.jpg

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I actually don't like how the the curve of the throat approaches the head.  The curve on the peg box side (in the throat area) seams discordant with the curve opposite the pegbox opening.  The second picture looks better, but I think it's because it's held at an angle so the impression of a less open throat is actually from the opposite side.  Just being nit picky as I learn to focus on details.  I'd be more than happy if I made this scroll.  Sorry for being a stick in the mud.

-Jim

9 hours ago, BassClef said:

Again, pardon me for the focusing issues, this was a very quick and stealthy photo shoot, one that may or may not have been authorized.

What is this scroll?

Thank you very much sir, nice scroll indeed! :)

How do you call the heel of the pegbox, isn't that typical for cello's?

Edit: it's called the "chin" i believe

scrollparts.jpg