Maestronet Forums

Joe Robson's Balsam Ground 3

jowl

OK so my Diamond G has arrived and I have used it with BG3. I think it is better than the turpentine that I have been using but it by no means dissolves all the BG3 in a 3:1 dilution. I am not sure whether I should expect it to, and would appreciate some feedback from Joe. I have done another coat, and am happy with the colour. 

PB060341c.jpg

PB060343.JPG

1 hour ago, jowl said:

OK so my Diamond G has arrived and I have used it with BG3. I think it is better than the turpentine that I have been using but it by no means dissolves all the BG3 in a 3:1 dilution. I am not sure whether I should expect it to, and would appreciate some feedback from Joe. I have done another coat, and am happy with the colour. 

PB060341c.jpg

PB060343.JPG

Looks as though the material has oxidized somewhat.  Good in the wood, a pain n the bowl.  No harm to the instrument.  Email me your address ane I will replace the material. Sorry for the issue!

Joe

3 hours ago, arglebargle said:

Balsam Ground.

As for what in it, I assume it's balsam and ground.

Yeah: truth in advertising or a lack of marketing skills.....Correct...#1 - 4 are extracts from raw pine resin....#5 aka Balsam Ground Varnish is a sealer made from raw pine resin and linseed oil in a 4 resin to1 oil format.

Now that I have some further details:  the # 3 Balsam was part of a workshop kit from 2014.  If you are going to store these materials for a while, transfer them to smaller containers and put in a cool dark place...like a refrigerator.  Oxidization requires warmth and light.

on we go,

Joe

19 hours ago, joerobson said:

Yeah: truth in advertising or a lack of marketing skills.....Correct...#1 - 4 are extracts from raw pine resin....#5 aka Balsam Ground Varnish is a sealer made from raw pine resin and linseed oil in a 4 resin to1 oil format.

Now that I have some further details:  the # 3 Balsam was part of a workshop kit from 2014.  If you are going to store these materials for a while, transfer them to smaller containers and put in a cool dark place...like a refrigerator.  Oxidization requires warmth and light.

on we go,

Joe

i.e. BG = Varnish ;)

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same issues. The BG#1 doesn't really dissolve into the Diamond G. Once you add it, it gets kinda cloudy, then in a minute or so just collects in a buncha lil beads at the bottom.  

One thing that I'm not sure of also is, is one supposed to apply each stage, let the first stages absorb into the wood, and then only at the last step, being the actual ground varnish, reach a full consistent seal coat?

1 hour ago, joerobson said:

Clean the surface with alcohol....the begin again.  Also #1 is not to be diluted.

BG application sequence 1.doc

Yeah. I meant to say #2 sorry. The first one is really straight forward. I mean, this is all really straight forward, but I may not be a straight forward thinker from time to time. I stripped it, and started over. Seems to be taking shape.

Hello all,

This is not a sales pitch.

As there is often anecdotal discussion of the Balsam Ground , I thought it time to clarify. 

I have been offering the Balsam Ground System for sale since 2002.  Several years of research proceeded this.  The BGS seals the wood for varnishing and enhances the natural reflectivity of the wood.  All in search of the effects we observe on classic Cremonese instruments.

Attached you will find information on the process and application.

on we go,

Joe

BG application sequence 1.doc

header vv plus ground model.doc