Maestronet Forums

Why are violin necks tapered from nut to the bridge instead of having the strings parallel like that with a guitar?

GrandPhuba

The main consideration has most to do with bow access and the way the left hand tips or rotates toward the player. Very different from the guitar. The bow needs a certain space to work in, requires a wider space between the strings as well as the curve so that individual strings may be worked,,and the rotation of the left hand cause a restriction in the reach of the fingers requiring a narrow..ness of the neck. 

44 minutes ago, Muswell said:

???? All the classical guitars I have owned or made have tapered necks.

For sure , however the ratio of tapper is much greater than on the guitar for the above reasons. Out of curiosity what are standards for guitar, nut saddle string widths,to leangth?  always wanted to build classical..started some rosette practice.

55 minutes ago, James M. Jones said:

For sure , however the ratio of tapper is much greater than on the guitar for the above reasons. Out of curiosity what are standards for guitar, nut saddle string widths,to leangth?  always wanted to build classical..started some rosette practice.

The various plans I have show the nut 42.5 to 45mm depending on maker.  At the saddle 56 to 59. I have made a touch wider for a fat-fingered friend. Scale length is usually 650 but a bit less can make it more comfortable.  Some would say the shorter scale length reduces power but unless you are giving recitals who cares.

• 1 month later...

44.5 string spacing for the nut and just under 59mm spacing for the string holes in the bridge.   

From nut/fingerboard line to the 12th fret at the body join can be just shy of 328mm.  Doubling the 328 mm to the bridge saddle plus a mm or two for compensation in addition to the already 356mm gives a scale length of 358.  

IAs of recent with myself I have contracted a severe case of Faulk-itus.  That would otherwise be known as classical guitar making.  Since Aug. 2017 - almost three down, one more to go.  .