Sign in to follow this  
Nick Allen

My first real label. Is it missing something?

I know that these things are highly a stylistic/personal matter, but I can't help but feel that my label is a little drab. I was going for the minimalist/classy look, but I think it may have ended up a little plain. 

Any thoughts/ideas? 

Perhaps a nice border or a little leaf insignia lol. 

IMG_20171024_191436.jpg

24 minutes ago, Nick Allen said:

Also. Just realized I should have made it just "20XX". Now it's only good for two more years. 

When you're famous, they'll refer to these as "the early 201X label." ^_^

I both like and dislike it.

The simplicity of it is kind of appealing, but at same time feels a bit too plain.

And the number, yeah, why not just print the dates whole? Is it made of any special paper and printed some special way?

1 hour ago, Violadamore said:

It looks unfinished.  I don't see "Antonius Stradivarius" on it anywhere.  :huh:

Lol. I misplaced my IHS stamp somewhere. 

My biggest concern is that it won't appear professional. This fiddle I intend to keep for myself, but in the future when people peer into the f hole I want to leave a good impression. 

Where's my bedazzler?

3 hours ago, Nick Allen said:

I know that these things are highly a stylistic/personal matter, but I can't help but feel that my label is a little drab. I was going for the minimalist/classy look, but I think it may have ended up a little plain. 

Any thoughts/ideas? 

Perhaps a nice border or a little leaf insignia lol. 

IMG_20171024_191436.jpg

How about a signature or Initials?

1 minute ago, MikeV said:

How about a signature or Initials?

Ah! Good man! Signing each one would help prevent forgery, or simply add another personal touch. 

I could only hope someone would want to forge an early 2000's Allen lol. 

1 hour ago, Jack Devereux said:

Clean that glue up! 

...sorry... I've been lazy up until this point lol. 

Best way is a scraper perhaps? Hot water might end up releasing the ribs. 

:P Fixed it for ya, Nick:

Label_(Fixed).thumb.jpg.9713c042447daffed7febdfe3f1ec435.jpg

As they say around here, "Go Stillerz!" (For readers not from the US, the added symbols have deep runic meaning and inescapable metaphysical implications.)

Looks fine to me. I'd be inclined to go even more minimalist and not have the "pittsburgh pa". And maybe not use an "all caps" font. Makes it look a bit like a tombstone. Nit picking though. I like it.

Because I generally do antiqued instruments I couldn't resist the hilarious pun of having "fecit" on my label.

Is it glued in that position? Wants to be a lot closer to the ribs to be easily visible through the f hole.

It's your label.  You probably should pay attention to the instincts you're feeling.    Get a pencil, or pen, or open a computer and mock a few ideas up.  Get drunk while you're at it!  Play with ideas for a while, then let them sit.  Look at other people's labels, old and new.  Think about what you like in those.  Then try the whole thing again.  Especial try drawing ideas while drunk.   Follow what you like.  Indulge your instincts.

You should put "lotsa girls" on the label, to subliminally suggest that ownership of one of your violins will make one popular with the gals. ;)

Another version could be, "lotsa gigs".....

Simple and clean. You could probably carve the "1" off of the date on the stamp with a razor or sharp knife. Write "No. 127" on it so that future collectors will be looking for 126 others.  :D

second thoughts, keep "pittsburgh" get rid of "PA" in the interests of de-cluttering.

The only time I ever heard "pittsburgh PA" was when Chuck Berry needed a geographical location to rhyme with "Frisco Bay" 

Nick,

Put a simple border on it and it would look fine.

Then clean that glue up by laying a small bit of paper towel wet with cold water on the glue blob only then scrape off the glue or use a little hot water after the glue has swelled. Wouldn't worry too much about the rib joint but that glue drip could eventually cause a buzz.

My own label is very plain with just my name, a sort of rope work border and a hand written date and number. The fanciest and very beautiful labels I can think of were the English ones. George Withers around 1900 had one about the size of a business card with a cartoon of  a face of the  North  Wind and  some nice scroll work and fancy script.