• Announcements

• john

Read the rules at the top of this page before posting.   12/30/16

The rules are copied here for your convenience: The Auction Scroll is for sharing opinions on instruments listed and offered for sale online on this site or any other. It is for the civil exchange of ideas and opinions about the instruments themselves. The opinions expressed are solely those of the poster, and do not represent the opinion of Maestronet or its forum moderators. Personal attacks on individuals will not be tolerated and will result in banning from participation in the forums. For example you are free to state that in your opinion a certain instrument labelled such and such is or is not authentic. You can also support your opinion with facts as you see them, as long as you make no reference to the individual or company listing the instrument or use hearsay in your argument. You cannot say for example that such and such an instrument is not authentic because you know the individual listing the instrument is not trustworthy or you believe the company routinely uses false descriptions of its instruments. That will get you banned. Similarly, you can defend the authenticity of an instrument with the facts as you see them, as long as personal attacks and hearsay are not used. For example, you could refer to the shape of the f holes in support of a certain origin, but what you cannot do is attack any individuals that may hold a different opinion. This is a unique forum, so please abide by these rules to ensure it continues in its current form.
sospiri

CAVEAT EMPTOR

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Old-Antique-Italian-Violin-Marked-Laurentius-Bellafontana-1949-Also-Signed-/122759124421?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=l28UPlsHppauib7yMyDuM3MsYC4%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

This is the worst ebay violin sale I've ever seen. Almost  a thousand dollars for something not even worth $50

What will the buyer think when they receive this VSO?

21 hours ago, isabel251 said:

I saw that one!  That seller has been listing lots of bows and violins.

His shtick is definitely working, lot of bids for those sticks. I don't doubt they are decent bows, but all with fake stamps. Same with the violins.

20 hours ago, Jeff Jetson said:

Even I can tell that that is a new Chinese instrument.

Lower end Skylark made in China. You see lots of them on ebay and they don't sell. Even for $50. People are obviously looking up the name on the label and thinking they are getting something special. He's pretending to be ignorant about violins, but obviously he knows what he's doing.

OMG, the bridge is so beautifully made and has a Gio Caressi stamp, such provenance..

No but really, I remember seeing this a little while ago and I couldn't help but say "**** right off" (Can anyone else relate). I really do worry for buyers on Ebay. Somehow all it takes is a label, the laziest fitted bridge in HISTORY (they have the cheek to put a fake name on it) , and a BS background story in the description for people to bid away with hope. This looks worse than my first playing violin 

I can't wait to see the photos of the other master violins and bows that the seller mentions is in his collection.

On October 23, 2017 at 5:35 AM, sospiri said:

What will the buyer think when they receive this VSO?

Ha Ha - They sent it back and the seller re-listed it. This time the seller added the word "Copy" (although it is not that either!).

Keep in mind that there is a lot of fake bidding on Ebay. Good chance nobody actually bought this.

14 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

Ha Ha - They sent it back and the seller re-listed it. This time the seller added the word "Copy" (although it is not that either!).

14 hours ago, deans said:

Keep in mind that there is a lot of fake bidding on Ebay. Good chance nobody actually bought this.

He bid for it himself to keep his 100% rating. Either that or he had some agreement with the buyer to refund in return for no negative feedback?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VERY-FINE-QUALITY-VIOLIN-WONDERFUL-COLOUR-PATINA-L-K-G/382287618171?hash=item59021e207b:g:QHoAAOSwO9JaD5ab

this looks like a fine quality violin.... photos dont do it any justice, viewing welcome.

No thanks. It's a Lark/Skylark with painted purfling and fingerboard. Almost wothless

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VERY-FINE-QUALITY-VIOLIN-WONDERFUL-COLOUR-PATINA-L-K-G/382287616338?hash=item59021e1952:g:N30AAOSwonBaD5Ww

"this looks like a fine quality violin... photos dont do it any justice"

It's a Shoenbach. Yes they are sometimes quite pretty with nice wood and well madeish, but cheap and cheerful, no more no less.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VERY-OLD-VIOLIN-FOR-SPARES-OR-REPAIR-RESTORATION-PROJECT-L-K-G/382287614841?hash=item59021e1379:g:ZM4AAOSwTm9aD5SI

"this looks like a very old quality violin"

Another Shoenbach in pitiful condition. Photos don't do it any justice.

This dealer is worth cheching out in case they list something valuable by mistake.

The buyer is, in effect, only expressing his opinion when he says "it looks like". Not to be taken seriously in any way. A poster of the Mona Lisa "looks like" a DaVinci.

2 hours ago, sospiri said:

This is interesting. Not a genuine Meinradus Frank, but looks like a decent instrument, who made these?:

I have an old Saxony c. 1800 with the similar artwork, but a different maker, on the fake label. It isn't the prettiest violin and it shows its use and age, but it sounds wonderful. Mine looks Klingenthalish.

label.jpg

1front_back.jpg

Just a gentle mention...  This this thread has, at times, come close to the line.  Please read the guidelines for this forum. The discussion should revolve around the instrument, not the character of the sellers.  Thank you.

https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/announcement/4-read-the-rules-at-the-top-of-this-page-before-posting/