Maestronet Forums

A Beautiful Violin from a Beautiful Friend

Dwight Brown

My dear high school friend and all around lovely person passed away a while back.  The truly lovely and multi talented Kate Light.  She was a tiny force of nature and as sweet a person who ever walked the galaxy.  Her Rugeri is up for auction at Brompton's.  It looks to be in remarkable condition with a post patch but no post or bar crack.  I want it pretty badly but I will need to sell a kidney and half a liver. More importantly it would be a travesty for me to own anything like this!

https://www.bromptons.co/auction/23rd-october-2017/lots/220-a-very-fine-italian-violin-by-francesco-and-vincenzo-rugeri-cremona-circa-1700.html

It is written up by John Dilworth.

If a violin retains any of it's former player this is the sweetest violin that ever existed.

DLB

1 hour ago, Dwight Brown said:

More importantly it would be a travesty for me to own anything like this!

Why would this be a travesty? Except that its not a viola.

The estimate seems low to me. This violin and the Serafin on Tarisio are the type of thing that get me thinking crazy thoughts.

I'll bet you're a good enough player to enjoy and appreciate it. And I'll bet you would take good care of it.

There are plenty of other good instruments for the really good players. I have come to believe that new instruments are actually a better choice for a younger professional musician. I also refuse to believe the myth that there aren't enough good violins to go around to all the players.

8 minutes ago, ctanzio said:

That is a spectacular back.

Curious how the rib figuring slants the same direction all the way around. Any special reason those old makers would not flip on the other half to get the figure slanting as a mirror image?

Because if you make the lower rib in one piece it's one less job to do?

Lovely violin.

1 hour ago, victordriver said:

Dwight,

Kate Light was NY based - any reason why Bromptons are selling it that you know of?  Don't get me wrong, a good choice but not in NY!

It is nice that you remember her so fondly. Thanks for posting this.

I really don't know.  The lawyer doing her estate is a musician and from her class at IAA.  I remember Kate as such a sweet person who never made a big deal about herself and let her work speak for itself. 

DLB

22 hours ago, JohnCockburn said:

Because if you make the lower rib in one piece it's one less job to do?

Certainly for wrapping the lower bout since one would not have a cut joint at the tailpiece button. A moot point for the upper bout since the joint is notched out to receive the neck, or covered up when the neck is nailed to the corpus in ancient construction.

To get the figure slant to match on both sides, one would have to flip the rib strip to expose the opposite side. I know these things are only about 1mm thick, but maybe figuring did not look as good on one side as the other? With the wood stock I have used for ribs, I am lucky it has any figuring at all so I have never personally dealt with the issue. >grin< 

3 minutes ago, ctanzio said:

Certainly for wrapping the lower bout since one would not have a cut joint at the tailpiece button. A moot point for the upper bout since the joint is notched out to receive the neck, or covered up when the neck is nailed to the corpus in ancient construction.

To get the figure slant to match on both sides, one would have to flip the rib strip to expose the opposite side. I know these things are only about 1mm thick, but maybe figuring did not look as good on one side as the other? With the wood stock I have used for ribs, I am lucky it has any figuring at all so I have never personally dealt with the issue. >grin< 

I guess this violin could have been made with only four ribs as I am sure it would have had the older nailed in neck.

DLB

31 minutes ago, ctanzio said:

Yes, you're right about the upper bout although I do usually make it in one piece as I find it a bit easier to lay out the lines for cutting out the neck mortice without a joint/gap in the way.