engineertalal

I will start making Violin

Hi Engineertalal, Welcome!

Although I have yet to make my first violin... I think a key asset to have for making instruments is the ability to sharpen a knife, gouge, chisel/plane blade, and a scraper. If you can already do this you are off to a good start.

Hi Engineertalal, Welcome!!!

I recently finished my first violin, I'm an amateur violin player and amateur maker.

My first violin took me really a lot of time even I did it under the guidance of a real violin maker master, the final result was incredible.

During the process I've been trying to read and see every bit of DIY and what I've found is that www resources usually lack the small but important bits of information.

Anyway I'd suggest two very important things: patience and patience.

Also ask people here and maybe this guide, which I've found one of the most detailed -and free- quite accurate:

http://www.makingtheviolin.com/

Good luck!

Juan

You don't have to be able to play music but it helps if you have some wood working skills.   I have just recently started building my first one also,   well really it's the second one but the first was many years ago and it did not turn out very good. 

You should post pictures as you build it. 

I am making my first violin and I am 66, I also took up playing only 3 years ago and can make a reasonable sound. If you want to learn dont be put off by people who say you are too old . On the violin making , get the book The art of Violin making by Chris Johnson and Adrian Lucas as it is excellent in all respects, a bit pricey at about £70 but if you keep looking you can get it sometimes for about £40. Well worth  the investment

Edited by David Russell
Can you notify me of replies , I didn’t tick the box

I am in the process of making my 1st violin and have the ribs and top plate done, and working and figuring out how to cut the purfling without using the traditional way. There is a lot to learn and understand, buy a good violin book , mine was by H.S Wake . These sites are a great help , keeping your tools sharp , and having lots of patience is a must, I like to clean up my shop after I work but when it becomes frustrating I turn the lights off and come back later . I am also 65 and just retired but have found a new challenge that I really enjoy and have been at this for almost 2 years.  Good luck. 

Edited by Greg Marks

1 hour ago, Greg Marks said:

I am in the process of making my 1st violin and have the ribs and top plate done, and working and figuring out how to cut the purfling without using the traditional way. There is a lot to learn and understand, buy a good violin book , mine was by H.S Wake . These sites are a great help , keeping your tools sharp , and having lots of patience is a must, I like to clean up my shop after I work but when it becomes frustrating I turn the lights off and come back later . I am also 65 and just retired but have found a new challenge that I really enjoy and have been at this for almost 2 years.  Good luck. 

Great seeing you making a violin at your Age, I also started with H.S. book, bought around 1995 and have his VHS tapes to, I just finally got to making a violins this year. keep us updated with your progress