Sign in to follow this  
tchaikovsgay

Standing???

Hi guys I have learned playing the violin for 10 years but never investigate deeply until last week:

I use the Franco-Belgian bow hold but I am confused which standing style is the most suitable, generally considered "correct"?

A. Some YouTuber:

1)Stand together
2)V Position
3)Left foot moves slightly forward & Left

B. Some YouTuber:

-feet to be on the same plane to shoulder width apart
-weight evenly distributed between the two feet

C. Baillot, Pierre:

-the body straight and supported by the left side
-so that the right side is left unconstrained
-the arm can act with greater freedom without giving any motion to the body
-the right foot pointing at approximately an 45 degree angle to the left foot
-facing straight ahead at the music

D. Spohr, Louis:

-the body straight and supported by the left side
-so that the right side is left unconstrained
-the arm can act with greater freedom without giving any motion to the body
-the right foot pointing at approximately an 80 degree angle to the left foot
-turn the face towards the music stand so that the view falls onto the music over the bridge and the left hand

*I will test each of them after dinner

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

D.jpg

Edited by tchaikovsgay

I think that each person is unique and going to hold the violin and have slightly different postures because of height and joint functioning. I do think there is a most efficient playing setup for each person but to say you must put your feet at such and such an angle and 40% of your weigh on left foot or the violin should be at a certain angle and tilted at a certain angle is not going to work for all people. 

I would recommend you find what feels the most natural and comfortable for you.

I actually find myself naturally pacing when I play. The violin section of the orchestra is seated. Some people expressively move while playing, others prefer to remain stiff...

What I find interesting is chamber orchestras and string quartets opting for performing on foot, rather than sitting.

I believe the idea is that it looks more energetic for the audience. 

It doesn't work for me.

It's weird to see (in the case of a string quartet) three guys standing while I am sitting.

Also: not everybody looks energetic when they're standing. For instance, if you've got a tummy, the audience is looking at your tummy all the time.

7 hours ago, Herman West said:

Also: not everybody looks energetic when they're standing. For instance, if you've got a tummy, the audience is looking at your tummy all the time.

Especially if you're in your last trimester. :ph34r:

8 hours ago, Herman West said:

What I find interesting is chamber orchestras and string quartets opting for performing on foot, rather than sitting.

I believe the idea is that it looks more energetic for the audience. 

It doesn't work for me.

It's weird to see (in the case of a string quartet) three guys standing while I am sitting.

I don't like it either, I'm usually significantly taller than everyone else making me stick out and it creates difficulty in sharing a stand.

OK for two players, but not for a larger chamber group.

I try not to look at tummies...the whole area is a danger zone.

I look at shoes and socks.  Hairy ankles and legs are safer, if also unappealing to look at...^_^

And I still can't figure out why so many women don't seem to own an attractive and comfortable pair of black shoes...:huh:

15 minutes ago, Rue said:

I try not to look at tummies...the whole area is a danger zone.

I look at shoes and socks.  Hairy ankles and legs are safer, if also unappealing to look at...^_^

And I still can't figure out why so many women don't seem to own an attractive and comfortable pair of black shoes...:huh:

I feel that the question isn't "own", it's "wear on stage".  Anyway, if you're in a pair of Choo (or equivalent) stilettos, with strapless decolletage at the top, fewer people will fixate on what's in the middle.  Judging by audience response at some performances I've attended, most of the men might ignore the sounds you're making as well.:lol:

2 hours ago, Violadamore said:

Judging by audience response at some performances I've attended, most of the men might ignore the sounds you're making as well.:lol:

Yep - that was good. But drop the emoticon - kills half the effect. You want 'em guessing....

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:31 AM, deans said:

I'm usually significantly taller than everyone else making me stick out and it creates difficulty in sharing a stand.

Same here

Edited by Arerretha

On 11/9/2017 at 8:35 PM, Violadamore said:

I feel that the question isn't "own", it's "wear on stage".  Anyway, if you're in a pair of Choo (or equivalent) stilettos, with strapless decolletage at the top, fewer people will fixate on what's in the middle.  Judging by audience response at some performances I've attended, most of the men might ignore the sounds you're making as well.:lol:

That's very true. In stilettos and with a well revealing décolletage most men ignored my sounds. It's nice to know we share common experiences.

1 hour ago, carl stross said:

That's very true. In stilettos and with a well revealing décolletage most men ignored my sounds. It's nice to know we share common experiences.

Ummmm...........not sure you're cut out for this, "Carlotta", or otherwise equipped to full advantage.  Meeeeowww!  :P:lol:

1 hour ago, Violadamore said:

Ummmm...........not sure you're cut out for this, "Carlotta", or otherwise equipped to full advantage.  Meeeeowww!  :P:lol:

You're being very insensitive now. Have you any idea what efforts it takes to walk on high heels at 240lbs ? Find the right bra, keep weight in check, chose the right lipstick ? Even with my wife's help...

22 hours ago, carl stross said:

You're being very insensitive now. Have you any idea what efforts it takes to walk on high heels at 240lbs ? Find the right bra, keep weight in check, chose the right lipstick ? Even with my wife's help...

:lol::lol::lol:

23 hours ago, carl stross said:

I'd be more inclined towards sympathy if I didn't feel certain that the only thing honestly trans-anything about you is some of your fat content. :P:lol:

4 hours ago, Violadamore said:

I'd be more inclined towards sympathy if I didn't feel certain that the only thing honestly trans-anything about you is some of your fat content. :P:lol:

What gave me away ? It wouldn't be my choice of violin and guitar players, I hope...  Because you know, to me it's all about character and artistic integrity.