not telling

Typical tuning aficionado?

The bass bar angle/tuning technique--what is going on? Also, can you actually hear the dullness of that blade? It can't just be me hearing that awful sound. That plane is dull as a hammer. But why can't I hear what he hears with those tap tones? My hearing is not impaired. What's he doing? How does he know when to stop?

He has dozens of videos. He explains why he works this way as though it is all part of a normal, typical, valid technique, and as though everyone does the same. And he has a website too. So he is for real. I guess I should admit when I just don't understand. The technique, the purpose, all of it.

Does anyone get this guy? Can you please explain?

Thanks

Don Noon   
10 hours ago, not telling said:

Can you please explain?

To post a video to Youtube, one does not need to be a good violin maker or have ideas that make any sense.  In fact, there seems to be an inverse relation (Davide is the exception).

1 hour ago, Don Noon said:

To post a video to Youtube, one does not need to be a good violin maker or have ideas that make any sense.  In fact, there seems to be an inverse relation (Davide is the exception).

:)

Oh! Because the internet. Indeed. Well, I made you all look. Nyah.

Fox, I think he has his blade set to Romano. Painful to watch and to hear. It keeps catching and clearly he is used to that.

Also, what is that yellow gunk around the edges...ewww. Is it glue? Propolis?

I take it that this is not at all what most plate tuners are doing, then? I couldn't bear to watch the whole thing. 

If the poster of the video is reading this, please explain what I have just seen. I feel like I fell off the edge of the internet, where your 50 educational videos and 400 subscribers live. It's very confusing.  

OK, there is a lot I don't get or don't agree with, like the angled bar, and tuning to a particular frequency.  But there is something to be learned by tapping as you remove wood, and makers that care about how the final instrument sounds likely make some use of tap tones.  I never did listen to the wood, but I do now, and don't regret it.   The wood 'speaks' when you play the instrument for a lifetime, why not listen to it for a few moments as you're building the instrument?   The info in the video is not all 'cobblers', based on my limited experience!  :)  My 2 cents...

1 hour ago, violinsRus said:

OK, there is a lot I don't get or don't agree with, like the angled bar, and tuning to a particular frequency.  But there is something to be learned by tapping as you remove wood, and makers that care about how the final instrument sounds likely make some use of tap tones.  I never did listen to the wood, but I do now, and don't regret it.   The wood 'speaks' when you play the instrument for a lifetime, why not listen to it for a few moments as you're building the instrument?   The info in the video is not all 'cobblers', based on my limited experience!  :)  My 2 cents...

I do agree that you can get a feel for the instrument as you're handling it while making it. Twisting plates in your hands while graduating, flexing the rib garland or f hole wings, etc.