Peter Lynch

Methods for storing /displaying higher value violins

I am finishing up making a cabinet for storing / displaying violins and I am trying to decide if I want to use U-shaped wire hanger approach or a wood with cut out slots that hang the violins at the chin of the pegbox.  I would probably add felt to rest the chin on as well.  Due to the design of the cabinet the wire hangers would probably work better, but am concerned if there might be any long term damage with this method.  For folks that have shops that deal with instrument in the 10 - 25K  range and hang their violins, what approach do you use and why?

Thanks

Peter

I have gotten back a new violin from a certain extremely high end shop which had used the chin of the pegbox holders. The neck was so badly damaged that I had to do a neck graft on it.

I use  bent  brass rods on the racks in my show room and have never had  varnish wear or other  problems but you and any one else who takes instruments on and off the racks must be aware that some scrolls will wedge slightly on the wire and they must be put on and off carefully. In my workshop I use racks with loops made of plastic "weed eater" cord which is actually a bit gentler on the scroll but doesn't look as nice. 

I made wire violin hanging loops of single-strand 12 gauge insulated copper wire that I extracted from Romex electrical cable.  I figured that the insulated wire would gentler on the violins than bare metal wire.

Hanging by the volute will probably work fine, since we don't live in an earthquake zone.

It should work OK in an earthquake zone as well, with padding on the bridge to keep it from gouging the back of the adjacent instrument when things start swinging around.

2 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

@Jeffrey Holmes and others

I like your design a lot. Any concerns about storing violins in daylight all the time? 

Yes... I have some concern for exposure to direct sunlight.   The rack shown is in a corner farthest from the window wall.  There is more storage in my safe as well.