Sign in to follow this  
puckfandan

Violin ID

Just picked this up on eBay, unfortunately this is all I have for pics until it arrives. Just wondering if anyone sees anything that may look somewhat familiar besides the woodworm dance floor? Many thanks in advance, will post interior pics once it arrives.

image.jpeg

image.png

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I'm sure it's not a "Markie".   From those photos, I'm not at all sure what it might be.  It's old, whatever it is.

36 minutes ago, mood2000 said:

in my opinion , it's seems to me , looked like an English school .

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=nyp.33433082267265;view=1up;seq=23

That's entirely possible.   Thanks for posting the link to the Balfour book.  I notice it has a contemporary photo of the not-yet-unmasked Balfour "Strad"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voller_Brothers

My first thought was English or French 3 quarter, 18th century. Hopefully there will be something identifiable inside. There is a repair tag from 1862 from Johannes Hjorth, I would assume that is when the neck was updated. I like the character of the scroll, that's what made me look beyond the worm damage! I will take to get treated and asses the damage from there.

The violin is due to arrive on Thursday, the seller did not get me more pics before shipping but he did send the measurements, which I thought I would post.

Back Plate: 35.8 cm
Upper Bout: 16.6
mid : 11.5
lower: 20.5 cm