BassClef

I'm Taking Requests for Oct. 14 - 17, 2017 (Contemporary Violin Makers Exhibition)

BassClef   

I'm definitely checking this exhibition out. If anyone is interested in any particular hardware and would like images of certain instruments (or makers!), let me know in this thread and I will do my best to make it happen. Who else is going and when?

Contemporary Violin Makers Exhibition

Presented by Reed Yeboah Fine Violins LLC

http://www.reedyeboahviolins.com/
Oct 14 - 16, 2017

The Kosciuszko Foundation
    15 E 65th St
    New York, NY 10065

212-765-3275

Makers

Luiz Amorim
    Giancarlo Arcieri
    Michele Ashley
    Emmanuel Bégin (Bow)
    Thomas Bertrand
    Andrew Carruthers
    Antoine Cauche
    Daniele Ciaccio
    Alvaro Corrochano
    Paul Crowley
    Joesph Curtin
    Ulrike Dederer
    Michele Dobner
    Ron Fletcher
    Éric Gagné (Bow)
    Fabienne Gauchet
    Andranik Gaybaryan
    Peter Goodfellow
    Grubaugh & Seifert
    Gruszow & Baumblatt

David Gusset
    Lee Guthrie (Bow)
    Jeffrey Haas
    Jordan Hess
    Hans Johannsson
    Alina Kostina
    Cody Kowalski (Bow)
    Felix Krafft
    Silvio Levaggi
    Jesse Maschmeyer
    Ryan McLaughlin
    Eduard Miller
    Hayato Nagaishi
    Paul Noulet
    Kaspar Pankow (Bow)
    Jeff Phillips
    David Polstein
    Yann Poulain
    Andreas Preuss
    Ada Quaranta

Stephen Quinney
    Shahram & Saeid Rezvani
    Yael Rosenblum
    Charles Rufino
    Benjamin Ruth
    Bill Scott
    Kelvin Scott
    Theodore Skreko
    Nathan Slobodkin
    Rachel Spitz-Becker
    Joesph A. Thrift
    Guillaume Turgeon
    Chris Ulbricht
    Stefan Valcuha
    David Van Zandt
    Matt Wehling (Bow)
    Isabelle Wilbaux
    Christo Wood
    George Yu

BassClef   
31 minutes ago, finnliengaard said:

who made the instrument in the first image? that back is wild!

There are some fantastic instruments here!

andreas-preuss-viola-back.jpg

right click - view image - the makers name is in the file name/url

Great photos!  The antiquing on that Shan Jiang violin scroll looks more than a little scary to me.

BassClef   

No prob and remember, the photos I just posted are from 4 yeas ago, this year's exhibit is tomorrow through Monday and I'm still looking for requests from MN members about what to photograph this weekend, time permitting.

18 minutes ago, BassClef said:

No prob and remember, the photos I just posted are from 4 yeas ago, this year's exhibit is tomorrow through Monday and I'm still looking for requests from MN members about what to photograph this weekend, time permitting.

Can you figure some way to identify the makers for us when posting photographs? These pictures look great and some of the work is by people whose names I know but have not seen their work or from old friends whose recent work is worth  keeping up with.  As others have said thanks for doing this. I'd have liked to go but with two cellos in the works and both behind schedule.......  

BassClef   
2 hours ago, nathan slobodkin said:

Can you figure some way to identify the makers for us when posting photographs? These pictures look great and some of the work is by people whose names I know but have not seen their work or from old friends whose recent work is worth  keeping up with.  As others have said thanks for doing this. I'd have liked to go but with two cellos in the works and both behind schedule.......  

You are listed as a maker for this year, will one of your instruments be for sale at this year's exhibition?

I'll identify the makers when I post photos from this year's event. The ones above have the maker names in the file name of the image. They were posted in a different thread with titles to each photo but my free hosting account filled up and the photos disappeared.

i won't be able to photograph all of the instruments this year so last call for any requests.

1 hour ago, BassClef said:

i won't be able to photograph all of the instruments this year so last call for any requests.

Nathan's work, of course, along with whatever particularly catches your eye.   A shot of the refreshments table.

Oh, and any instruments $1500 and under.  That part should be easy.

BassClef   
4 hours ago, Violadamore said:

Nathan's work, of course, along with whatever particularly catches your eye.   A shot of the refreshments table.

Oh, and any instruments $1500 and under.  That part should be easy.

Got it, will do! I was planning to shoot (photograph) Nathan's instrument if it's there because I recognize his name from here.

I'm not sure if anything is under $10,000, I'll check when I go.

4 hours ago, Rue said:

Beautiful photos!

Thanks Rue! Here are some more from 2014. Featured are makers Alina Kostina, whose violin sold on the floor of the exhibition that year, and Luis Claudio Manfio, one of our own holding his very fine viola.

post-66674-0-05911500-1413664565.jpg

post-66674-0-12173600-1413664573.jpg

post-66674-0-15175400-1413664562.jpg

post-66674-0-46880300-1413664552.jpg

post-66674-0-60535300-1413664570.jpg

post-66674-0-73456800-1413664555.jpg

post-66674-0-94186000-1413664575.jpg

post-66674-0-94348700-1413664567.jpg

post-66674-0-95971100-1413664558.jpg

10 hours ago, BassClef said:

You are listed as a maker for this year, will one of your instruments be for sale at this year's exhibition?

I'll identify the makers when I post photos from this year's event. The ones above have the maker names in the file name of the image. They were posted in a different thread with titles to each photo but my free hosting account filled up and the photos disappeared.

Yes. There is a sort of Halloween themed Guarneri model there. Kind of dark with scary looking FFs.

Interested in how Curtain, Levaggi, Scott, Phillips, Rosenblum, Quaranta sound (and visual would be interesting, too). And picture(s) of Matt Wehling's bow? Thank you.

BassClef   

All requests noted. I had a quick pop in today with my daughter and the place was bumping. Lots of customers, great atmosphere, amazing looking instruments. Some already sold but will be on display until the exhibition closes. Others already have "silent" bids on them. I'll be back on Monday by myself and with more opportunity to photograph. Lots of Violas! I tried one cello and it had the most intense wolf I've ever heard! Get your requests in my Monday morning and I'll do my best. Julie Reed, George Yeboah, and Yi-Ping Yang really put on a nice event.

lwl   

I was there this morning and took pictures (for the purpose of remembering the makers) of everything I liked best, other than Joseph Curtin's violin (which I forgot to photograph). I'm not sure how useful they'll be to the members of this forum due to the angle at which I took these, but here you go. (i also have pictures of some of my favorite other fiddles -- Gusset, Arcieri, Grubaugh & Seifert -- but the forum is giving an upload error on processing the files.)

Wood_2017.jpg

Poulain_2017.jpg

Wilbaux_2017.jpg

Ruth_2017.jpg

Slobodkin_2017.jpg