• Announcements

• john

Read the rules at the top of this page before posting.   12/30/16

The rules are copied here for your convenience: The Auction Scroll is for sharing opinions on instruments listed and offered for sale online on this site or any other. It is for the civil exchange of ideas and opinions about the instruments themselves. The opinions expressed are solely those of the poster, and do not represent the opinion of Maestronet or its forum moderators. Personal attacks on individuals will not be tolerated and will result in banning from participation in the forums. For example you are free to state that in your opinion a certain instrument labelled such and such is or is not authentic. You can also support your opinion with facts as you see them, as long as you make no reference to the individual or company listing the instrument or use hearsay in your argument. You cannot say for example that such and such an instrument is not authentic because you know the individual listing the instrument is not trustworthy or you believe the company routinely uses false descriptions of its instruments. That will get you banned. Similarly, you can defend the authenticity of an instrument with the facts as you see them, as long as personal attacks and hearsay are not used. For example, you could refer to the shape of the f holes in support of a certain origin, but what you cannot do is attack any individuals that may hold a different opinion. This is a unique forum, so please abide by these rules to ensure it continues in its current form.
Dwight Brown

This may be a genuine "Holy Crap!"

9 minutes ago, Dwight Brown said:

This one has a descriptor of "Magnificent"

Wow!

And it is in playing condition.

Compared to what?

I think we need a (very broad - I understand) ranking system. 

Ex. Rate the best Strad as a 10 on tone, condition and aethetics...then use it as a basis of comparison.

NOT as the final word - just to compare against.

It is a real beauty. I admire the Brompton's model of posting video clips of their highlight lots. I, for one, am very grateful to them for the opportunity to see and hear this instrument played and for the opportunity to hear not two, but three Matteo Goffriller's, one after the other plus a Francesco  Goffriller, a Ceruti, a Rocca and so - on. For those of us who do not live in places or move in circles where we get the chance to hear and see instruments like this very often it is a real treat.

As for the 'Magnificent' well it just is, it does not need to be compared to anything! 

Btw...I  was thinking more of violins in general and less of antique guitars in particular...

...but still...

On 10/9/2017 at 12:56 PM, Televet said:

I, for one, am very grateful to them for the opportunity to see and hear this instrument played and for the opportunity to hear not two, but three Matteo Goffriller's, one after the other plus a Francesco  Goffriller, a Ceruti, a Rocca and so - on.

"Your results may vary"

1 hour ago, AtlVcl said:

"Your results may vary"

:rolleyes: No doubt, but since I am unlikely to be in the same room as three Matteo Goffriller's, a Francesco Goffriller, a Ceruti, a Rocca, and a 17th Century Guitar any time soon, or have the disposable loot to buy one, I am still very grateful to be able to listen to these clips. If I had the loot I would definitely fly over and road-test the Stainer at Tarisio but that is another story altogether. Meanwhile, I will get back to my practice on my Markie and continue with my daydreams.

Pete Townshend with the Who and famous for smashing his guitar at the end of live shows. I think there is a clip of him on the Smothers Brothers show and after The Who  were done playing Pete walks up to Tom Smothers and takes his wonderful acoustic guitar and smashes it. Kind of sad to see.  

I have always found it facinating how these ethnic Fussen diaspora Lute & Guitar makers must have worked. Whenever one of them died, the probate inventory lists an imense stock of staves, soundboards and other parts. One wonders if they hadn’t pre-empted IKEA by 500ish years with „flat pack“ guitars. i.e. If they had an order in (say) Holand, they could pack a flat(ish) parcel, and have the Dutch compatriot stick it together there. I just thank my lucky stars, that noone ever asks me who made them, and where.

I may be remembering it wrongly, but I recall Robert Lundberg telling me that Sellas was more likely a dealer than a maker. I mean thing probably haven't changed much since the 17th. One could probably tell by the size of his house on the canal.