BassClef

I Struck Gold on the Electronic Bay (what carat?) - 1/8 Antique Violin - Info Requested

Recommended Posts

You do not 'Sell' 1/8 size violins.  You rent them with the promise to up-size to 1/4 if they continue to feed the child!  At 1/8  the price is $15 / month.

It is only required that the pegs will hold and there is some sound!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, BassClef said:

I've checked out this site a lot in the past 4 years, they often have a stable of 1/8 violins selling for 650.00 € and up. The reason you don't see any now is because they are rare and they move quickly once in stock.

Hey, you can believe anything that you want to believe. Not that there won't be financial consequences. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, BassClef said:

From what you have referenced so far (in addition to what you have posted in this thread), I suspect that you are more of a muckraker, than someone who is making a genuine inquiry.

Nothin' wrong with that, if you want to go out on a wing and a prayer, but for the most effective sorts of humor, the punch line is delivered in less than three days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

From what you have referenced so far (in addition to what you have posted in this thread), I suspect that you are more of a muckraker, than someone who is making a genuine inquiry.

oh-no-you-didnt-gif-3.gif

burgess-oh-no-he-didnt.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blank face said:

You're still missing it; but there are surely some yams available in a Manhattan supermarket, the chicken must be saved before it reaches McDonalds.B)

Nope, didn't miss it at all, and I was able to maneuver you into being crass enough to spell it out.  :P:lol:

Poor BC, he gets so little respect on this board.  Boo-hoo, boo-hoo.  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

Nope, didn't miss it at all, and I was able to maneuver you into being crass enough to spell it out.  :P:lol:

Poor BC, he gets so little respect on this board.  Boo-hoo, boo-hoo.  ;)

I never understood posters like you who are just mean to people then follow it up with a smiley emoji. I just want to have a fun time here, goofing around at times, often at my own expense. Your "sense of humor" is very off-putting and hurtful. You are an internet bully. I'm being serious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, BassClef said:

I never understood posters like you who are just mean to people then follow it up with a smiley emoji. I just want to have a fun time here, goofing around at times, often at my own expense. Your "sense of humor" is very off-putting and hurtful. You are an internet bully. I'm being serious.

I have never thought of Vioadamore as "mean", or an internet bully. Sure, she's a  worthy debate adversary in almost any field, including that of obscure humor, and hasn't been unwilling to challenge me on many occasions (with either good arguments or good humor), but I don't think of that as being "mean".

To me, internet meanness is more along the lines of putting forth relentless bullchit arguments, while showing high resistance to learning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, BassClef said:

I never understood posters like you who are just mean to people then follow it up with a smiley emoji. I just want to have a fun time here, goofing around at times, often at my own expense. Your "sense of humor" is very off-putting and hurtful. You are an internet bully. I'm being serious.

Well, I certainly don't mean to be.  The Winking smiley emoji is to indicate lack of seriousness, and my comment was aimed at Blankie, who just implied that you're the only person on Earth who'd buy the OP violin, in case you didn't notice.  Like more than one poster here, particularly based on your continued requests for "adjectives", presumably derogatory by the context, I figured you started this topic with comedic intent.  Sorry.

 

When I use the original "smiley", it indicates just that, BTW, a smile.  Not a wink, laugh, razzberry, or whatever. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

" and many more of good quality like that of the OP violin. "  :D:lol::lol::D

And if you believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you.

I'm done with this topic. It's become too much like a trolled topic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Violadamore said:

Nope, didn't miss it at all, and I was able to maneuver you into being crass enough to spell it out.  :P:lol:

Poor BC, he gets so little respect on this board.  Boo-hoo, boo-hoo.  ;)

I was under the impression that you were referring, with a certain contempt and snobistic attitude, to a sort of third-world exchange of rural products; maybe I was wrong and this exchange is going on in your countryside, too, and if so I apologize.

Such an arrogance would amaze me from your side, because you're very curious in regards of every rubbish, how it might sound like, and I can't make out the difference between full size and fractional stuff of this origin. BTW, it's not always about buying or selling, and respect will earn mostly who is a bit humble him or herself.

9 hours ago, go_oa said:

You do not 'Sell' 1/8 size violins.  You rent them with the promise to up-size to 1/4 if they continue to feed the child!  At 1/8  the price is $15 / month.

It is only required that the pegs will hold and there is some sound!

That's the truth, usually; buyers of these small fractionals are often rental shops, music schools or conservatories, renting them for a short time to Kindergarten Kids. As you say, the most important thing for education is tune and stability of set up, a good shaped quality bridge for the playability of single strings, a good response for the little players and for parents or teachers a non-ear-breaking tone, which all ain't approachable with the most budget stock on the market. BassClef is right with his observation, that the smaller the old fractional, the faster it's sold from these retail shops, no matter if the price tag appears to be reasonable for the naive spectator.

A second venue, which is often forgotten, are collectors, and there are much more than our esteemed BassClef. Of course most of them won't be interested in the OP, but the proof for the existence of a non-playing public for this might be the estimation of the ruined fractional from the Brompton's auction. OTOH, even a cheap nasty 1/8 from the 1920s cottage industry is not a daily find, and to get it for the "bundle of yams and a chicken" can cause understandable excitement. So who gets never excited about some meaningless looking artefacts, can throw the stone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blank face said:

I was under the impression that you were referring, with a certain contempt and snobistic attitude, to a sort of third-world exchange of rural products; maybe I was wrong and this exchange is going on in your countryside, too, and if so I apologize.

Such an arrogance would amaze me from your side, because you're very curious in regards of every rubbish, how it might sound like, and I can't make out the difference between full size and fractional stuff of this origin. BTW, it's not always about buying or selling, and respect will earn mostly who is a bit humble him or herself.

 

And I, in turn, was under the impression that you were implying, with a certain traditional European cultural contempt and condescension (we are, after all, merely "the colonies", nicht wahr?), that only Americans would be so lacking in sophistication as to buy the OP violin.  When my continued poking back elicited the "Manhattan" reference, I realized that you were targeting one single particular American as a gullible hayseed, rather than the lot of us.  Let's start over, shall we?  :)

With so many different folks around this table, we must be exceptionally careful in shading our meanings.  The use of text alone sometimes makes it difficult to realize when one's "leg is being pulled" in a friendly way, rather than one's face being slapped.

As to my insatiable curiosity for rubbish performance, in the case of the tinier sizes of fractionals, it was satisfied sometime back.  They make wonderful display items and give the smallest children a fiddle of their own to start with (very important), but I find them acoustically lacking at best, and difficult to restore.   The world does not exactly beat a path to one's door to obtain them, either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Violadamore said:

And I, in turn, was under the impression that you were implying, with a certain traditional European cultural contempt and condescension (we are, after all, merely "the colonies", nicht wahr?)

Good to know about this feelings, I didn't take them into consideration, unfortunately, but will be more careful in future. I personally never ever had a colony, but the fact that there once were such, can explain some political other actual distinctive features.^_^

3 hours ago, Violadamore said:

   The world does not exactly beat a path to one's door to obtain them, either.

Exactly, that's what's about here, nicht wahr?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite appart from any personal squabbles, I think one may ascertain, that it is quite easy to find an old ¾ or 7/8 violin, should a client wish to have an old one, but far more diffucult to find a ½ size or ¼ size antique instrument, and that some people like to have something very old (even children), although many do not care one bit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

Quite appart from any personal squabbles, I think one may ascertain, that it is quite easy to find an old ¾ or 7/8 violin, should a client wish to have an old one, but far more diffucult to find a ½ size or ¼ size antique instrument, and that some people like to have something very old (even children), although many do not care one bit

I'll freely grant, that with $1000 worth of work to repair the open seams, recarve the botched area at the end of the scroll flutes, ameliorate the surface damage, refinish it, and set it up with a cut bridge, a peg job, and new gut strings, you could probably sell it for $200 or so, after a long wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, FiddleDoug said:

" and many more of good quality like that of the OP violin. "  :D:lol::lol::D

And if you believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you.

I'm done with this topic. It's become too much like a trolled topic

I appreciate your posts Doug. When considering the value of the OP Czech 1/8, it's not terribly helpful to ask if a frugal parent of a 5-year-old would likely buy the Czech or a new Mendini. That's another issue entirely dealing with practicalities of the mass market. The OP Czech is a smaller market higher value item than a modern Mendini.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Blank face said:

I was under the impression that you were referring, with a certain contempt and snobistic attitude, to a sort of third-world exchange of rural products; maybe I was wrong and this exchange is going on in your countryside, too, and if so I apologize.

Such an arrogance would amaze me from your side, because you're very curious in regards of every rubbish, how it might sound like, and I can't make out the difference between full size and fractional stuff of this origin. BTW, it's not always about buying or selling, and respect will earn mostly who is a bit humble him or herself.

That's the truth, usually; buyers of these small fractionals are often rental shops, music schools or conservatories, renting them for a short time to Kindergarten Kids. As you say, the most important thing for education is tune and stability of set up, a good shaped quality bridge for the playability of single strings, a good response for the little players and for parents or teachers a non-ear-breaking tone, which all ain't approachable with the most budget stock on the market. BassClef is right with his observation, that the smaller the old fractional, the faster it's sold from these retail shops, no matter if the price tag appears to be reasonable for the naive spectator.

A second venue, which is often forgotten, are collectors, and there are much more than our esteemed BassClef. Of course most of them won't be interested in the OP, but the proof for the existence of a non-playing public for this might be the estimation of the ruined fractional from the Brompton's auction. OTOH, even a cheap nasty 1/8 from the 1920s cottage industry is not a daily find, and to get it for the "bundle of yams and a chicken" can cause understandable excitement. So who gets never excited about some meaningless looking artefacts, can throw the stone.

Solid points, thank you for your support in my effort to highlight and restore the dignity of the OP Czech 1/8.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

Quite appart from any personal squabbles, I think one may ascertain, that it is quite easy to find an old ¾ or 7/8 violin, should a client wish to have an old one, but far more diffucult to find a ½ size or ¼ size antique instrument, and that some people like to have something very old (even children), although many do not care one bit

Thank you for help in shining some positive light on the OP Czech 1/8.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

I'll freely grant, that with $1000 worth of work to repair the open seams, recarve the botched area at the end of the scroll flutes, ameliorate the surface damage, refinish it, and set it up with a cut bridge, a peg job, and new gut strings, you could probably sell it for $200 or so, after a long wait.

I do not sell 1/4 sized violins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2017 at 1:52 AM, BassClef said:

 

So, mood2000 and JacobSaunders, how can I reconcile these two posts? mood2000's intel suggests that my nice old violin was made between 1921-1993 and suggests that it was made after 1957! Jacob informs us that the instrument of high esteem was made between 1919 and roughly 1945. So could this violin have been made between 1945-1993 or not? What gives???

Hi, BC! I am pretty familiar with the "Made in Czechoslovakia" violins, and I would dare to say that mood2000 was right here and that you did not understand what Mr. Saunders said. Cheers, Franc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, franciscus said:

Hi, BC! I am pretty familiar with the "Made in Czechoslovakia" violins, and I would dare to say that mood2000 was right here and that you did not understand what Mr. Saunders said. Cheers, Franc

Hi Franc, when was the OP Czech 1/8 made? It's hard to keep track of everything.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, BassClef said:

Hi Franc, when was the OP Czech 1/8 made? It's hard to keep track of everything.

 

I do not think that I can put your violins in the narrow time frame because there is a zillion violins like yours, made between end of sixties fifties and beginning of nineties, but - according to what I know about the cases (I am almost sure that you have the original case from the original outfit), the case from the middle of sixties have not been equipped with the key.  

Edited by franciscus
Human error

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, franciscus said:

I do not think that I can put your violins in the narrow time frame because there is a zillion violins like yours one, made between end of sixties and beginning of nineties, but - according to what I know about the cases (I am almost sure that you have the original case from the original outfit), the case from the middle of sixties have not been equipped with the key.  

Franc, what is the range of dates that you believe the OP "Czech" 1/8 was made during?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BassClef said:

Franc, what is the range of dates that you believe the OP "Czech" 1/8 was made during?

I corrected the post you cited - sorry, I made a mistake. Regardless on that, I'd say that the period 1960-1965 would be pretty close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.