Sign in to follow this  
Roderick Quiros

VSA Preconvention session

3 hours ago, Roderick Quiros said:

presumably we meet at the main entrance of the LoC? Hopefully they have a sign for the VSA group visible to round everyone up.

Probably in the lobby inside security, but confirmation is forthcoming I am sure.

Here are photos from the Library of Congress and Smithsonian. 

Here are some shots of the LoC foyer. 

IMG_0739.JPG

IMG_0746.JPG

Here we are at the LoC viewing their collection.

IMG_0749.JPG

That afternoon we went over to the Smithsonian for a great quintet performance. We got to see and handle these instruments. The next two photos are the Ole Bull made by Stradivari in 1687. 

IMG_0760.JPG

IMG_0761.JPG

Another Strad. I forgot its attribution. "The instrument after the Ole Bull is the 1695 Strad viola with the coronet on the top under the fingerboard known now as the Herbert Axelrod." - David Pope.

IMG_0765.JPG

Here Chris Germain and Philip Kass examine the Strad cello which is magnificent. 

IMG_0769.JPG

Claire Curtis and the Smithsonian curator, Kenneth Slowik, examing a "chimera" (LOL). 

IMG_0781.JPG

Close up shot of the jeweled corners of the N. Amati also shown in the other photos below.

IMG_0784.JPG

IMG_0770.JPG

IMG_0771.JPG

I am sure it would be of interest to the group at large to see the pics of the instruments folks took at the Library and the Smithsonian.  I've set up an public album titled VSA tours in Photobucket, but I don't know how to make that available to others.  If anyone can fill in that gap in my knowledge, I'd appreciate it. 

Would participants be willing to share their photos?  I saw you snapping away, Roderick...  But others took lots of pics as well.

I confess my self-interest here because I decided to focus on seeing the instruments rather than photographing them and that my only contribution here is to set up the album.

2 minutes ago, David Pope said:

Hello Mike,

The instrument after the Ole Bull is the 1695 Strad viola with the coronet on the top under the fingerboard known now as the Herbert Axelrod.

Thanks, David. I quoted you in the caption.