Thomas Coleman

The Manual of Violin Making by Brian Derber

Mine arrived today ,took about a week to get to the UK. Fantastic book for the likes of me not attending violin making school. Might be quiet for a week or two to get through it. Well worth the money Thanks to Brian

Since this popped up again, let me just add a few more thoughts.

After having this for almost a month I have found that I reference it often. Not necessarily for instructions, but rather for a different perspective on how to go about tasks that I have done for years. It is such a thorough work that even the smallest details are given ample time and thought. The methods he uses for certain jobs (finishing the outline for example) are not something that I feel the need to try, but the perspective is very much appreciated. It is very much Brian Derber's method for making a violin, and that is not a bad thing. That being said, he does regularly go into different methods to achieve the same end, but the primary instruction is his method (and by extension, I assume the Chicago school's). 

Again, it is very much worth the money, and I can't imagine anyone with a serious interest in this not being happy with the purchase.

Just received my copy. Wonderful book. I hope Brian plans to make the pics available on the Internet for future years, since the color pics may fade a bit.

I want to ask about the graduation scheme he shows in the book. Instead of the usual central oval and arcs, he shows rectangles. I had heard about this method. How about anyone else's thoughts, please. Is this the Tschu Ho Lee method?