I have found a good used master violin.  1980 by Wenzel  Fuchs. Can someone tell me about it and what a decent price would be? There are no scratches or blemishes. It has original bow and case 

It's always a bit dicey answering these kinds of questions with out any real background, but you can find Wenzel Fuchs violins in retail shops it the realm of $3000.00. Corilon have one on their website at 2500 Euros which is right in the ball park. For that you would expect it to be in top notch condition, well set up and with the aftersales service you would expect from a good violin shop. On the other hand, at auction, even the publicly available prices are largely less than a $1000. 

Hope that is of some help

25 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

What is a "Master Violin"? One made by Master Baiter?

No, it's not one of yours. unless you label some of yours as "Fuchs", which I wouldn't put past you.  :P

2 hours ago, David Burgess said:

Are you claiming to have never "done the deed"?  (The "M" deed) ;)

Now, whose the Baiter..............................:o

Since  David is one of only a handful of North Americans who has actually passed a Masters exam I'd say he is right up their on the suspect list.

Seriously the use of the words Master Violin Maker or  Master Violin are much over used. There are currently no Master certifications being offered in the US although the AFVBM did offer one but stopped when they realized how few of their members could pass the test (MAJOR hats off to David and the others who did). Otherwise there are another handful  of people living in America  who passed their Masters at the Mittenwald school back before their curriculum was radically altered. As far as I know, that's it! The rest of us who went through an apprenticeship under qualified teachers should be proud to call ourselves violin makers but when some one refers to me as a Master I make sure to correct them.

In grade school we had a kid on our bus named John Bates and every morning when he got on and came to sit with us in the back of the bus we greeted him Good morning Master Bates, how are you. Even when we were seniors this greeting never seemed trite but forever humorous.

Indeed, and to be fair to the OP who was asking an innocent question, there are a number of listings from perfectly respectable shops describing this maker as "Master'

Welcome to MN, Linda.  Please just ignore that hairy drooling thing in the corner picking its nose with a Sawzall.  Maybe it will return to its bench and produce a masterpiece, like it's capable of. :lol:

1 hour ago, Televet said:

Indeed, and to be fair to the OP who was asking an innocent question, there are a number of listings from perfectly respectable shops describing this maker as "Master'

I am not familiar with this maker and have no information about his education..He may indeed be a master and if so the price would seem quite low. No offense meant to the original poster but as a designated  curmudgeon I felt obligated to make the observation that that term is often over used. 

Televet's comment seems to be the most useful and hopefully will be of use to the OP. The rest of the conversation, well .....

9 hours ago, JacksonMaberry said:

What was ye olde AFVBM master's exam like, David? 

It was so long ago that I took it, that I don't remember all the details.

Among other things, the founders of the AFVBM wanted to establish a useful tool for musicians, for distinguishing between "hacks", and those who had met higher standards. There was no such thing in the US at the time, and there still isn't in most of the world. Haven't we all seen fiddles that were seriously messed up by someone who didn't know what they were doing? Kind of curious that we have certifications for everything from plumbers, to personal trainers at the gym, to medical doctors, but next-to-nothing for violin makers. Membership in the Federation would show that a member had met a certain level of training and qualification.

The original founders of the AFVBM also wanted to put in place incentives for continuing learning. Acceptance for membership in the AFVBM was not intended to be the "end all and be all", but one of many steps up the ladder.

Refreshing my memory from a look at my Masters Certificate, my examiners were Carl Becker, Jacques Francais, and Dario Dattili. All were (or had major involvement in) significant training shops, and all are now deceased. Some of them had their ups and downs, but I can't hope to fill their shoes.

As Nathan mentioned, the AFVBM Masters certification program is no longer active. In part, this happened out of pressure and lobbying by some newer members, who thought that "all Federation members should be equal", so there should be nothing which could be seen as making further distinctions between members who had already met the requirements for membership.

3 hours ago, Violadamore said:

Welcome to MN, Linda.  Please just ignore that hairy drooling thing in the corner picking its nose with a Sawzall.  Maybe it will return to its bench and produce a masterpiece, like it's capable of. :lol:

I am more than shocked at your level of crudity! :o:lol:

1 hour ago, David Burgess said:

It was so long ago that I took it, that I don't remember all the details.

Among other things, the founders of the AFVBM wanted to establish a useful tool for musicians, for distinguishing between "hacks", and those who had met higher standards. There was no such thing in the US at the time, and there still isn't in most of the world. Haven't we all seen fiddles that were seriously messed up by someone who didn't know what they were doing? Kind of curious that we have certifications for everything from plumbers, to personal trainers at the gym, to medical doctors, but next-to-nothing for violin makers. Membership in the Federation would show that a member had met a certain level of training and qualification.

The original founders of the AFVBM also wanted to put in place incentives for continuing learning. Acceptance for membership in the AFVBM was not intended to be the "end all and be all", but one of many steps up the ladder.

Refreshing my memory from a look at my Masters Certificate, my examiners were Carl Becker, Jacques Francais, and Dario Dattili. All were (or had major involvement in) significant training shops, and all are now deceased. Some of them had their ups and downs, but I can't hope to fill their shoes.

As Nathan mentioned, the AFVBM Masters certification program is no longer active. In part, this happened out of pressure and lobbying by some newer members, who thought that "all Federation members should be equal", so there should be nothing which could be seen as making further distinctions between members who had already met the requirements for membership.

I am more than shocked at your level of crudity! :o:lol:

Thanks for your reply. I think it's a shame the Masters Exam was discontinued. I agree that it would be a boon to the stringed instrument community to have a sort of trade guild system nationally, if not internationally, to recognize makers and restorers of particular skill and trustworthiness. Having the traditional accreditation as in other trades - journeyman and master - would be really worthwhile. 

I aspire to joining the federation one day, at any rate.