MANFIO

Managing our wood stock - how much wood we need?

2 minutes ago, chungviolins said:

You did twice, pick either R or E, not both.

KYC

That's because my predicted average production rate increases after R because I have no intention of actually retiring. :D  Here I was thinking you would take issue with my life expectancy.

On 9/22/2017 at 12:10 PM, not telling said:

First step in your recovery is to admit that you have a problem, second step is to send a pallet of your loveliest tonewood to me. I will pm you my address. This is going to be really good for you. I'm happy to help free you of this dangerous addiction.

Svengali!

Putting up a large selection of wood allows  the maker to select pieces to hopefully best suit the particular instrument. As David mentioned, you also know the minimum age of the seasoned wood you are working with.

The pine beetle has been migrating into Alberta because our winters have become milder. Previously the -40C winters would kill them off and prevent them from migrating East over the Rocky Mountains.

https://www.agric.gov.ab.ca/app21/forestrypage?cat1=Mountain Pine Beetle in Alberta

The Eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains in Alberta is (was?) a good habitat for slowly grown Englemann Spruce.

On 1/12/2018 at 11:06 AM, Julian Cossmann Cooke said:

Svengali!

I expected some pushback, after all, this is the process of recovery, and it's not going to be easy to free yourself of the grasp of addiction. You might keep thinking that you are somehow losing something when you send that pallet of beautiful tonewood, but that is your addiction talking. Go ahead, accept my magnanimous offer of help. It's not as though I benefit, taking on such a burden. Be sure that you send a one piece cello back along with the rest. I like when Rivolta had poplar backs. Free yourself of any European highly figured poplar in your collection first. Yes. You have my address. Imagine how great you will feel when the desire for acquisition of fine tonewood no longer controls you. (Waves fingers mesmerisingly).