Maestronet Forums

Tape to prevent 3d position sweat spot

germain

I have a violin that has a line worn in the varnish next to the fingerboard on the treble side. I always thought it was odd. I had seen this type of wear on other violins, and wondered how it happened. Then I saw somebody holding their violin with the same wear line tucked under their right arm and their hand under the top treble bout with their thumb right on that line. 

So, another way not to hold your violin.

wear_next_to_fingerboard.jpg

3 minutes ago, gowan said:

Wear like that in GeorgeH's post could result from shifting to high positions with the thumb on the side of the fingerboard or when playing pizzicato, also with thumb on the side of the fingerboard.

Or by grabbing the violin on the sides of the fingerboard, when removing it from the case, or inserting it.

4 hours ago, David Burgess said:

Or by grabbing the violin on the sides of the fingerboard, when removing it from the case, or inserting it.

It's funny to me that  in the several times we have discussed this since I've been on MN, I don't remember this possibility coming up.  But it makes sense, and might be the most likely culprit.  After all, the thumb would be coming in more parallel with the fingerboard so there'd be little damage on the bass side, but the finger's nails would be coming pretty much straight down on the treble side.   

6 hours ago, Will L said:

It's funny to me that  in the several times we have discussed this since I've been on MN, I don't remember this possibility coming up.  But it makes sense, and might be the most likely culprit.  After all, the thumb would be coming in more parallel with the fingerboard so there'd be little damage on the bass side, but the finger's nails would be coming pretty much straight down on the treble side.   

I think it may have been Bruce Carlson who first brought this up here, to explain why wear can sometimes be seen on both sides of the fingerboard. There was also a video showing Heifetz(?) doing this.

3 hours ago, David Burgess said:

I think it may have been Bruce Carlson who first brought this up here, to explain why wear can sometimes be seen on both sides of the fingerboard. There was also a video showing Heifetz(?) doing this.

That could explain an abnormal wear pattern showing light wear on both sides, but the usual wear down the treble side of the fingerboard can be very extreme, even to the point of requiring new wood. It also always stops neatly at the end of the fingerboard, which puts paid to the theory of bows in old-fashioned holster cases and suggests a playing-related cause ...

The way the varnish has bunched up suggests to me something involving sustained contact (perhaps little finger supporting high position playing) rather than impact from fingers slipping off the fingerboard or some kind of pizzicato.

fb-wear-2.thumb.jpg.7458763b25b3166cd345c5b43f9c32bd.jpg

fb-wear-1.thumb.jpg.9618927b6ead1783482367440c4f4b7c.jpg