Sign in to follow this  
crowandcactus

JM Kaiser Seattle Wash. 1918 Info?

Hello! I picked up this fiddle recently and was wondering if anyone had a notion of the maker, style, province of woods, ideas about the finish, or any other thoughts to shed light on this mysterious old fiddle. The back shows a surprising  amount of figure when moved around in the light, is this what's known as quilted maple?  I can't find any information on the (supposed) maker, but am excited that it may be of some native northwestern woods. Any and all thoughts about this instrument are gratefully appreciated. Thank you!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I've sold 2. Perfectly decent fiddles, not worth much in the world of violins. I don't know any more information other than one instrument had a business card in the case showing a downtown Seattle address.

13 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

This name is not found in Wenberg's The Violin Makers Of The United States.  The scroll looks like an imported commercial scroll.

No, I don't see that in the scroll either.

2 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

@jacobsaunders

I didn't say it was an attractive imported commercial scroll. I think we both agree that it is one ugly scroll.

the commercial scrolls in the white, that one could, in the day, buy from some catalogue like Wurlitzer et al, were generally from Markneukirchen, if not a few from Mirecourt. The one on the fiddle is neither. It is a valiant attempt by a timid amateur who didn't really know what he was doing. I suppose you could call it „American cultural heritage“ if you were trying to sell it.

35 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

It is a valiant attempt by a timid amateur who didn't really know what he was doing. I suppose you could call it „American cultural heritage“ if you were trying to sell it.

;)

Thanks for the input everybody! I'll take my valiantly amateurish tomato soup violin with pride. I am myself very charmed by the northwestern "cultural heritage" present in this guy. I'm trying to track down more info on the makers life, I'll report if I find anything. And I think the pioneer fiddlers who started out with thread for strings and cedar shakes for bodies wouldn't stick their noses up at this so neither will I... Until I bump into its limitations. For now tho it'll do for busking and barn dances. Thanks again for the input!