Mat Roop

violin marquetry

Mat Roop   

Anyone know where I can buy pre-made marquetry to replace the missing ... or what is the best way to make it if I need to?

Thanks... Mat

1-IMGP8319.JPG

You will need to make up sandwiches of the light and dark woods then cut them to fit the angle, good luck trying to find a replacement, Karen rost in Germany might have something.

1 minute ago, GeorgeH said:

Maybe a guitar supply shop might have something. Or a lute maker.

I doubt it but maybe.  Try A &M wood specialty products or maybe Luthiers Mercantile.  I'm pretty confident you won't find and exact match.  Sorry to be a bummer.

9 hours ago, Kev Chanot said:

You could try a local antique furniture restorer - that's the kind of job they would have to do.

That isn't a bad idea. I worked as an antique furniture restorer for a while. Most shops will take up odd jobs like this, due to the fact that antique furniture comes with so many quirks and you've got to be ready for anything. 

deans   

I also have one in my garage that's missing a piece, a Schoenbach "Gusetto". I'll have to go dig it out tonight and take a look and see if its the same pattern. Georges suggestion isn't a bad option, and its what I was thinking of doing (for decades now, its hard to justify the effort when I could be playing).  

Mat Roop   

Thanks for all the advice... I will check the various sources, but I suspect I will have to make my own.... as suggested by James J. .... never done that before,  but there is a first time for everything! 

...and Deans.... my problem is the reverse of yours... I can't find the time to be playing when I can be fixing! ... Check your pattern and if its the same as mine I'll just make a larger batch:). I will likely make a 12" or so square of the strips glued together then lay out the curve at the matching angle and cut out the required strip on the scroll saw.

Cheers, Mat

deans   

Sure enough it was at the very bottom of "The Pile". Does look similar to yours. If you come up with anything or make your own let me know, I'll gladly buy a piece.

gusetto.png

deans   

Yeah, they are cool looking, I'm more of a fan of the flame soundholes . I wonder about the Gusetto models, seem to be a complete fabrication of the German/Czech trade industry, cornerless model with viola d'amore Fs. Funny now that the Chinese are making them.

Mat Roop   
3 hours ago, deans said:

Sure enough it was at the very bottom of "The Pile". Does look similar to yours. If you come up with anything or make your own let me know, I'll gladly buy a piece.

gusetto.png

Deans... nice unique fiddle!  Stay tuned... I won't get at it in the next week or 2 for sure.... Cheers, Mat

On ‎14‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 5:06 PM, Nick Allen said:

That isn't a bad idea. I worked as an antique furniture restorer for a while. Most shops will take up odd jobs like this, due to the fact that antique furniture comes with so many quirks and you've got to be ready for anything. 

I also worked as an antique furniture restorer for about 20 years....